Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Torque Converter
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:42 am 

Early this season I had my powerglide freshened and had changed some internal parts. I had the guy doing the work send my torque convertor out to make some changes. I got the trans back about a month ago. He is way too slow for me. I am tired of waiting on the convertor and am thinking about buying a new one. Ive never bought one. Lots of things changing on the car so there will be a lot I dont know. 540 ci bbc, alcohol, 1.80 planetary, etc. Where do I look? Any recommendations on who I might deal with?
By the way I dropped everything off with him on April 24. I was later than I should have been but this is mid July.

Post subject: Re: Torque Converter
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 am 

Got my new one from Neil Chance. sent him a couple of dyno sheets and he then called me on what it needed to be constant or fast??? As he said do you want it to be as fast as it can or be constant...I said constant so he built a 9" with the diode and it's spot on. He also wanted a log file of a couple of good runs so he can see the graph of rpm...He called me and said it looks fine. Nice guy to deal with for sure...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am 

Marty Chance would be a good choice, I've talked to him a few times at the PRI show and over on dragstuff. FTI does my converters, he uses higher quality new parts than a lot of others use and stands behind his work. If it isn't right he fixes it at his expense. Prices are very competitive as well. For durability and performance I would recommend a double element mechanical diode no matter who you chose, unless you are running ONLY 1/8 mile in which case a spragless will do the trick.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

I've been dealing with Brian Robinson at BTE for the last 5 converter mods I've had done. Don't know if anyone elses stuff would be better or last longer but I got zero complaints with them to this point. I think that Scott Smith uses their stuff too as he (Scott) was the one that put me in touch with Brian.

FYI, I bought an 8" Transmission Specialties verter from a guy in FLA through RJ and had it sent straight to BTE. They cut it open and then asked me what I wanted to do to it as it looked new, which is what the guy I got it from said, ie, it only had like 12 passes on it. Ennywho, they tweaked the stall another 500RPM from what I'm running now and made that one spragless for $400. It's still sitting here in the floor and will go into that skinny car sitting on the other side of the shop soon. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 pm 

Supposedly BTE is the one with my convertor. Or I am being fed a line of crap. I wont be working with the same guy next time I need trans work.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

oldtimer wrote:
Supposedly BTE is the one with my convertor. Or I am being fed a line of crap. I wont be working with the same guy next time I need trans work.

If you lived a little closer I'd teach you to do your own. I've done that with a few ppl over the years. In fact, last one was gdmii, a member here.

To be honest though, there's a really good book out there by Carl Munroe http://tsr-racing.com/shop/powerglide/m ... cal+Manual that would help you lean. Once they are setup it's pretty easy to maintain them as they only have two clutch packs in them (PowerGlide that is) and the first couple of overhauls only require clutch replacement unless the steels are warped. The couple of "special" tools can be made from scrap, which is usually cheap enough.

So my recommendation is to A) go get yur s**t and bring it home. B) order the book and an overhaul kit and or whatever parts you need from Ron Owens or some other reseller. C) dive into it and when you don't understand something just ask as there's several of us here that do our own. \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 am 

I agree with Ken and I have been doing mine for a long time now...Yea I did make some mistakes at first but overall it's not hard to do one at all..
Also since your was already done by someone it should not be really hard at all.
I made most of the tools used to do one and in that book Ken has mentioned they show you how to make some of the tools to do the overhaul...
I also used them for my parts as there one day fed-ex for me.. =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 am 

I have my trans back. Just waiting on the convertor.
I should learn to do them myself. I will look into the book and maybe get a spare pg to work on and learn.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes