Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: 1:65 Planetary?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Been thinking about this for some time now and now looks like I've got to make a decision as to whether I want to try this or not. There are some transmissions out there now that are setup for transbrake and high gear only. Idea being that the higher ratio will settle the car down leaving. I had mentioned last year that if I ever had another "skinny" car that I was going to try a 1:65 in it for that same reason, ie, take some of the hit off the tire. I've got a new spragless converter that is suppose to stall up around 6700 that I also plan to use in the skinny car too.

So how about some discussion on this before I call Ron Owens and order one. Looking for reasons why it will or why it won't work.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: 1:65 Planetary?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

Honestly never heard of doing that but do know a few that shift .50 sec after the hit and then run it out...A little hard on high gear clutch but seems to work for them and most of them still running in the sevens O:) .......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm 

Yes, shift on time and set it where you need for the track,

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Honestly never heard of doing that but do know a few that shift .50 sec after the hit and then run it out...A little hard on high gear clutch but seems to work for them and most of them still running in the sevens O:) .......

I've made a couple of passes in the Camaro like that. Stays on the verter a good while but it didn't seem to hurt the tranny any.

This car has a 4:10 gear in it and I've got a 4:88 that I'm thinking about trying. I run a 5:14 in the Camaro with a 32" tire so the 33.5" tires on the digger with the 4:88 might be a decent combo especially with a 1:65 planetary. What I'm trying to do is get the trap RPM up around 8,000. I'm also thinking that what I would loose at the hit with the 1:65s might be made up in high gear with the 88s.

Just thinking out loud and looking for info.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes