Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Torque specs needed
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:47 pm 

Does anyone know what the torque spec is for a 5/8 axle stud 6 pt. nut? I can't seem to find it on the Moser site and that's who's parts they are. Thanks. :-$

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject: Re: Torque specs needed
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

I tighten mine to whatever my air wrench puts out! O:) You could look up the torque spec on a 5/8x18 grade 8 bolt and come real close though.

http://www.raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

And if you're torquing a flat nut against an aluminum wheel I'd use some neverseez on that nut face as aluminum has one of the highest drag coefficients of any metal out there.

On mine I bought some flat washers that were the same OD as the flanged nut then drilled out the hole to fit the stud and I always put the neverseez on the nut and washer and not the wheel itself to keep the washer from turning against the wheel.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 pm 

Thanks Ken, and sorry I didn't call you today, too busy cutting out the last crash bar in the driver door, and picking up and then dropping off my two lower 4 link bars as they are too short, with too many threads showing that I would like.

My setup will have a spacer and then the nut and no washer as the nut has a washer like shoulder on it, and the spacer is aluminum, so I suppose a little antisieze will need to go on both ends of the spacer then.

Thanks again. ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

John I'd leave the neverseez off the end of that spacer that contacts the wheel. You really don't want it to turn there so NO lube is better as that will keep it from horking up the wheel finish so bad.

Don't worry about the missed call as I'm available almost every day.

Don't understand exactly what you mean about the threads and the lower bars? SAE Sepc says that as long as you have threads engaged as deep as the diameter of the fastener then any more than that is NOT going to add any strength? So I'm pretty sure that you have 3/4 heim joints and if that's the case, then all you need is 3/4 inch of the thread on that heim joint in the bar, and, it won't be any stronger even if it's an inch in it. Also remember that the lower bars get more compression load than anything else. Only real extension load is during braking.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am 

Well, with the jam nut hand tight to the tube adjusters at both ends on, both bars, there is 5/8 of an inch showing and I just don't feel comfortable with that, so they are getting extended and I will feel much better afterwards.
Yes, they are 3/4 also, and there was only about 1/2" of heim threads inside the bars and that is not much. Most say, and some chassis builders also, that the norm is to have 3-5 threads max, showing after the jam nut is tight, now maybe that is for cars with power O:) as I may not have enough to make a difference, anyway, it is done.

Chassis cert. is set up for the 22nd of Aug. when we get back from our cruise on the 20th., so it will be a little hecktick Sat., then I will look for a track to do some testing before the Milan NMCA event, and I sure hope I can make it.

I will follow your info for the wheel locks and spacers also ;-) \:D/

Thanks again Ken. :-$

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 am 

John you and Linda Have a great trip \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ See ya in a couple of weeks.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 am 

When I sheered my studs off while back strange told me they need to be at least 105Lbs. They are not the huge 5/8 studs they were the 1/2" studs the next step down. The spec is always related to the bolt diameter and material only person who can direct you in the right direction is the person making the studs. I have had good luck with just calling them up. =;

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes