Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:56 pm 

What do you guys think, do my 4 link brackets on the axle look upside down to you all? From a reliable source, he mentioned that if they are lower than the bottom edge of the rim, they are not going to pass tech O:)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 pm 

That looks right but don't see why you would need so many lower holes #-o

Why would you want to put that lower bar so far away from the axle CL???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

I got 3 holes up top and 3 below and the bottom of my axle bracket is BELOW the rim by abut a half inch? This car was an NHRA Super Gas car that had a current 7.50 tag on it when I bought it. I'm with Barry on the "why so many holes" but then again. Better to have too many than not enough, hey! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:51 pm 

I don't have an answer for either one of you two, but for some reason, I used Billy's pg48 sheet and well, now my bars are level on the bottom, and the top bars go down in front a little bit effectively putting my I/C Waaaaaaaay out there and not even close to the A/S line #-o I sure picked a hell of a chassis to be competitive with that's for sure [-( ](*,) but, I wanted a challenge and if I can figure this chassis out, any other should be fairly easy after this one ;-)

Funny,, I have looked at a bunch of chassis companies and most have either 3 top/3 bottom or 4 top/ 3 bottom and the frame brackets have all the holes to choose from in them, not the axle brackets.... Soon as I get an answer from the company I baught them from to confirm the correct location of them I will keep all informed, as for now, the chassis is on hold until next year #-o #-o #-o

Thanks for the reply's Ken & Barry.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Woooooow, on hold? O:) For what reason if you don't mind me asking? 3 holes, 4 holes or 10 holes, doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a set of holes that you can USE! Remember, you will only need 4 TOTAL (1 each corner)!

So I take it you're not even going to test and tune this car then? O:) Would you like for me to drive up there and test it for you? ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:11 pm 

There is nothing wrong with having that many bottom holes , I would consider it a good deal because you can set many different a/s / ic settings with different bar angles without having to move your ride height much at all. adjustability is good =;

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 am 

John, Put the lower bar even with the rim or up a hole. Front of the lower bar down 2 to 4* down. Upper bar in the center hole on the housing and the front
down to make it 50" or so out. You will only have to go to the 60' to see if it's going to like that setting SO GO TEST ;-) ;-) ;-)
Have someone Vid the leave and go from there...

Now this MO.......Anyone else???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 am 

If it ain't one thing it's another ](*,) ](*,) Not being a 4 link guy but an occasional smart a$$. Do like Barry said hook it up take a couple of hits see what it does. once you get it set, use the extra holes for your wheelie bars :- =; Hang in there John. You maybe overthinking things. You cannot have a pefect car out of the box on the first run. Get it together and drive it then go from there. See ya in a couple of weeks. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 am 

Well, you guys are all correct, forget this chassis until I come back from Alaska, it will still be here when I get back.
Sorry guys to seem so confused with this suspension setting info, brackets and such, it is frustrating to understand the physics and the reality of how it all works for a result.

Barry, those were my exact thoughts yesterday at about 8.30pm last night, just put the bottoms level, and shoot for an I/C between my COG and the A/S line to lift the front up and the I/C will be where it will be, and just let er eat and hang on and be ready and start out slow. It's just been soo long since 2008 when I drove it last, and with the new parts(like a kid with his new bike on x-mas but it's raining outside) feeling, it tends to overcome me at times to sit, and wait. No money coming in doesn't help either, and it needs 114 octane fuel, and a chassis cert, and the NMCA comes to town in 2 1/2 weeks and it won't make it out, THAT, right there really bumms me out to not make my local race just because of time, money and no testing.

So, I think a "PERSONAL" Thankyou is in order to all who have provided info., help, opinions and thoughts and sorry for being a pain in the a$$.

I just love racing, there is nothing else for me, it keeps me alive every day thinking that when I get back out there, I will be in heaven again, Drag Racing IS IT for me, I am so engulfed with racing that I would almost sell crack to finance it, but too dangerous and stupid. Barry, yes, you were right too to take a step back and take a breather and I did, and didn't. I know there is no way any of you guys can help me with the first and final setting of the chassis, no one can but me.

I am off to water the grass, take the advice given here and go change my bars today and just leave it alone and do other things on the car(which isn't much left to do) and finish cleaning out the other side of the garage so my wife can get here car in there too again, that will score me a few points ;-)

Ken, if you come up to drive it, bring lots of cash for gas, food and sunblock too =;
Results when ever they come in. ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes