Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Chevy 2500HD Posi-trac
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:18 am 

Bought a 2007 Chevy 2500HD w/6.0 Gas engine with a howl in rearend. Expected to replace R&P and maybe bearings and be ready to go. After teardown I find the spider gears are broke in the posi-trac carrier. One of the gears has roughed up the carrier where it was rubbingbinding. The carrier may be usable if polished, but I'm thinking of getting a whole new carrier/posi.

I already bought the new R&P and bearing kit (not cheap). Been pricing new posi-trac carrier and another $600 O:) . There are several aftermarket carriers (positrac and lockers) made by different companies. Does anybody have any suggestions? Experiences? Ideas to avoid spending $600? =;

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Admin

rick360 wrote:
I already bought the new R&P and bearing kit (not cheap). O:) .
Rick

FYI I used a Motive Gear in my Dana 70 in the Dodge. Put about 1k miles on it and though I had a problem so I pulled it back down a week or so ago and there appears to be zero wear on that gearset. I was a little apprehensive about using that brand as Chuck had said he had problems with those gears but I do think they are "good to go" now though and would buy them again. They went in without having to change any shims, etc so that was good also. Only thing I would do different would be to just buy a bearing kit instead of individual pieces at the local NAPA store, which cost me about 2 times what a kit would have cost.

Not sure on the Posi but I can tell you that you DO NOT want to have anything to do with a "PowerTrax Lockrite" locker setup that is designed to fit in an open rear case! Put one of them in the Chebby truck years ago and it crapped out not long after the warranty went out of date.

Oh, and how heavy is that carrier? Ouch! Last time out I put a piece of cross tie under there and just rolled it out on that. That thing must weigh 60+ pounds, which is hard on an old man laying on the floor.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:09 am 

FYI - The rearend is a GM 14T, 14 Bolt cover w/ 10.5" 12 bolt ring gear 30 spline axles and removable pinion support.

Yes Ken, it is heavy (everything on this truck is) and I expected it so I had boards stacked to roll it out just like you mentioned. I like the removable pinion support. Makes for much easier/quicker gear setup.

I bought a Yukon R&P and bearing kit from ringpinion.com.

I found this Eaton Posi-unit on the same site. Some of the other cheaper units don't have the carrier.
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=624.

Rick

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:49 pm 

Rick,

I've replaced numerous stock posi's, and the best replacement I've found is made by eaton. They take alot of punishment and last. Your other option would be to find a stock open carrier at a junk yard, remove the spider gears, and install a detroit locker. Alot of people say how bad they are, but I ran one in my old pickup for over 200,000 miles under just about any condition you can imagine, with zero problems. Just take a bit of getting used too at first, as they are a bit "quirky" until you get used to them. If it were me, I'd go with the locker. Either way though, it's still gonna set you back a bit of change.

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 am 

I went ahead and went with the Eaton posi. I got it put in over the 4th weekend. It looks EXACTLY the same as the factory GM carrier, not what the picture on Randy's R&P site showed.

It's installed and setup with new Yukon R&P and all new Timken bearings. I am breaking it in for a few hundred miles and should be towing with it in the near future.

Thanks,
Rick

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes