Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:19 pm 

Just that.Car has slowed abit,about tenth and a half and lost about 3 mph 1/8 and 1/4 and was wondering if this could be contributed to the fact that the converter was sent to Trans Specialties and made spragless. The converter was only 50 to 60 passes old and for some unknown reason he sent it in to have freshened and Trans Specailties talked him into making it spragless.Feedback appreciated. =; Thanks =;

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:51 pm 

Looks like you already found the "Con's" to a spragless. . . slower, no matter what brand or what anybody tells you, they will be slower. You will not find a spragless in a Comp Elim car (where quicker counts). The only "Pro" is that there is one less part to break without a sprag.

IMO, there is little need to go spragless until you are making a lot of power, like over 1000hp. They make some really strong sprags and mechanical diodes. It won't hurt to have a spragless in a bracket car, it will just take away a little ET and MPH. The launch and 60' should be pretty much unchanged.

Rick

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

To back up what Rick said, yes, it's typical to slow down some with a spragless verter. And it's also true that they will last longer than one with a sprag as there's less parts to wear out or break!

I've got an 8" spragless Transmission Specialties sitting in the floor now, which will wind up in the car within the next month or so. It's a looser verter than what's in it so I'm hoping for a "neutral" deal, ie, loose some, gain some.

And a final note, you can go fast, or you can go slow but you got to go the same each time or you go into the trailer! =;

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:39 am 

A spragless will almost always lose, how much depends on the combo. Typically the car won't lose much in the 1/8, most of the loss comes in the back half. The purpose of a sprag in a stator is to allow it to freewheel as the turbine speed approaches the pump speed, if it can't it will impede the proper fluid flow in the converter and limit the turbine (connected to the input shaft in the trans) from going much faster. The combo's that will be affected the most would be lower HP combos as the engines power drops at higher RPM's and speeds it wants to unlock the stator and can't. A high HP car like a blown or heavy NOS engine will tend to keep the stator locked longer and as a result will be less affected. Converter companies that tell you they make changes to prevent loss are feeding a line, anything you could do to improve it as a spragless would work for one with a sprag as well. A spragless will generally generate more heat as well.

Now to the benefits, a spragless will never slip unless it breaks the splines between it and the stator, most if the newer spragless setups for higher HP combo's now use manufactured or machined steel stators, and since there is no movement the weight of the stator makes no difference. With no slippage there are no consistency issues that may arise when a sprag slips. You don't have high loads on the spragless converter on the gear change as the sprag would see when going from freewheeling to instant stop as the load changes on the gear change. Nothing to slip, one less thing to break and one less thing to affect consistency.

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:42 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone.Confirms what I had thought about the spragless verter.No big deal,just miss the 70's and 6 teens it use to run. =; ..60 foots are about the same .Good air it went a 6.24 2 weeks ago. So equal air its a solid tenth off in the 1/8.Weirdest thing,I running more delay in the box than ever on any car.First time ever I ran 1.100 in it Friday night to get a .019 and a .024 light.. O:) . Need at least 1.080 at the "other" track O:) .I'll just dial her in the way its set up now and let her eat.... \:D/ ... \:D/ ..

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think I mentioned this before but I built a roll out counter years ago and put it on the Studebaker just to see how much difference there was lane to lane and track to track. I found out that there was a good bit of difference from lane to lane and track to track, back then. These days the infrared beams are pretty much mounted on the same fixture so there may not be as much difference now.

I usually have 1.08x delay on my car now at most tracks and with the Studebaker that number was around 1.03x. Remember that reaction time will vary with the amount of hook you get. When you put more time in it, maybe you're getting better hook also. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I think I mentioned this before but I built a roll out counter years ago and put it on the Studebaker just to see how much difference there was lane to lane and track to track. I found out that there was a good bit of difference from lane to lane and track to track, back then. These days the infrared beams are pretty much mounted on the same fixture so there may not be as much difference now.

I usually have 1.08x delay on my car now at most tracks and with the Studebaker that number was around 1.03x. Remember that reaction time will vary with the amount of hook you get. When you put more time in it, maybe you're getting better hook also. ;-)

Gotcha... \:D/ ..I takeld to a buddy who runs about the same number in the 1/8 and he runs 1.o90 a the one track(most part) and the 1.085 at the other ..So guess its just fine as is.I do think I'm going to put the 6k shift chip back in and turn back the 2 step to 3600 and slow the car down even further... \:D/ \:D/ .Just cant bring myself to buy all those extra hot cloths/gloves.... :-

Not to mention my old wagon is still turned way down and runs consistant 10.30's. =; he's won alot of money with that thing. #-o 60k plus in about 4 years :- #-o

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes