Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 am 

Sorry if it's been asked before, I did try searching to no avail. Whats the best weight and oil capacity to use in a 9in rear end with Pro Gears and spool ?

Cheers
Phil

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm 

I am in the same situation as you Phil. I am installing new Pro gears, spool, housing, etc this year and was also wondering which lube and how much. Are synthetics a good idea?
Dennis

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

OK so what do the gear manufacturers recommend?

Me, I run synthetic but that's just me and I can't say whether it makes gears last longer or not. "Logic" would say yes but then again..........Your mileage may vary? I usually break them before they wear out.

Down side of this is synthetic gear oil is now in the $13 to $18 a quart range so dig deep. ;-) Yesterday I found Lucas synthetic @ $13 a quart while Mobile 1 (my favorite) @ $19? Dunno what the difference is besides the name?

FYI, I'm doing a 50/50 mix using 85w/140 Lucas synthetic and Valvoline dino oil with the new Motive gear set in the Dodge.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 pm 

With lower ratios on the street richmond requires the use of synthetic gear oil but that's on the street where you drive the car enough to build considerably more heat than you will 1/8 or 1/4 mile at a time. The synthetics are supposed to create less drag by reducing friction and I believe they do. I think part of the reduction in drag is because the synthetics can run lighter and provide better lubrication. I also believe the lighter lube doesn't cushion the shock a gear will see as well as a heavier lube. I ran regular 85/90w gear oil and the Royal Purple synthetic and got the same number of runs out of a ring and pinion before they broke. I didn't see any change in ET either. Personally I will run the less expensive conventional gear oil because I don't see any advantage in the higher priced synthetic.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds "cheap" to me Chuck! \:D/ =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:28 am 

85/90w synthetic sounds good to me. I don't do anywhere near the number of passes you guys make so I'm not real concerned with longevity. About 2 quarts sound OK ? needs to be enough to submerge the gears but still get a reasonable amount running to the shaft bearings right ?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 am 

torco synthetic from steve @ nimbus.. run enough to come out of the level plug thats what its there for.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am 

Always used 90 wt and GM EOS. One gallon of 90 wt and one can EOS. This seemed to make the quick change gears last a little longer. I'm not sure of exact results. One of those things, if it ain't broke don't fix it. We are talking extreme heat on the quick change gears. Started using it drag racing and when we switched to circle track, I went to straight 90wt. After wearing several sets of the most used gears out quick, we changed back to the EOS mix. Seemed to help. I don't believe it hurt. It seemed to especially help in the break in period. The wear on the surface seemed smoother. Made sure the EOS was in there for initial run on new gears and then just added 90wt to the bucket.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes