Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 am 

Well didn't notice this until yesterday and not sure yet why it is the way it is. #-o ...The right rear coilover spring is adjusted damn near the max(top).I know when I had ran it I had it adjusted a tad higher than the left but not much.Any ideas on why its adjusted like this?Do or should I go to 110 springs(95's on there now).More preload in the right ladder?Thanks

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 am 

Looks like someone was trying to level out the launch with more spring pressure on that side.
I would think they should be adjusted the same. It could be they have the ladder bars all out of whack with Pre-load like you said and adjusted the spring to get it to sit level, if so it might be a fun ride... O:)

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Actually what you have is what looks like someone trying to compensate for preload on the wrong side with spring on the other? Obviously there is a problem with the rear end setup. You can put more "hit" in the right rear with the upper link on the ladder bar setup instead of using the spring to do it.

Question, is the left FRONT the same way?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:00 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Actually what you have is what looks like someone trying to compensate for preload on the wrong side with spring on the other? Obviously there is a problem with the rear end setup. You can put more "hit" in the right rear with the upper link on the ladder bar setup instead of using the spring to do it.

Question, is the left FRONT the same way?

No Ken there about the same in the front.I do know it for the most part it pulled a tad left on launch back when I had it..Watch the vid you can see it.Adjust the Upper link on the right rear bar?I'll go to the track and whack it abit to see what it does.I actually seen the car on IDR(inside Drag Racing) long ago and remember(I dvr'd it)(now erased) ,watched it(over and over) and the car went and lauched straight).(couldnt believe old yellar was on T.V lol.....

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:18 pm 

Here's what I had them years ago.I'm thinking because it was on soft and only running 10.0's launch is at 3600 now he didnt have any real issues going straight but as I turn the wick back up its gonna show itself.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:20 pm 

Think I'll throw it on the alignment rack and see if there's any preload set in the left ladder,I'll pull the front bolt and see how far the ladder bar drops. Bolt prob slide right in and out...lol...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:21 pm 

Starting to come back to me lol... :-k

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:56 am 

Tray, a few ways to help you find out if the spring is tired is to take them both off and stand them side by side for the simple and easy test first, then, with a little money spent, send them to a spring testing facility, and I know Afco will test them for you, and I believe QA1 has a spring testing machine somewhere, not sure where though but you can contact them.

Are those STRANGE OR QA1 shocks???, You may want to get them tested also, and they can be rebuilt obviously back to brand new, and I would say you have a bad spring/springs. Have you tried switching them side to side and reset your ride heigth and see where they end up then???? I would love to know that answer as that should tell you something about the springs being good, or even not enough spring rate for your chassis. The shock should help out to stiffen up the right side but don't go too far in clicks witht he right vs the left as it may upset you at the other end when you release the throttle O:) and you don't want that fun game at that end of the track right? ;-) The springs should be strong enough to support your vehicle at the line ready to run, have enough room in comp./extension on the launch and cause a smooth ride down each lane, nothing more, nothing less, and you should have about what, 25-30% of the shaft inside the shockbody to start with. FYI, that I have learned.

I'm betting on either a bad spring/s or a bad shock/shocks, just my orfice talkin though =;

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 am 

Someone may have been trying to adjust the ride height or maybe trying to put some preload on the right side. Because of the way a ladder bar works you can adjust the crap out of the springs and have little to no effect on the ride height side-to-side. I would try to neutral the ladder bars by removing a bolt on the right side ladder bar and then adjust the springs. You should have adjusters on the lower rear attaching point of the ladder bar, if you do remove the bolt closest to it. This will let the suspension move while you adjust the springs. When you get the springs set adjust the ladder bar adjuster so the bolt will go back in. If you have a set of sales or can borrow some it would be better. You will want to check front spring adjusters also. Keep in mind the springs will work against each other diagonally. If the LF is adjusted too high it will push down on the RR. Of course you will want to make all the adjustments with the driver weight in the car. When you're finished take it to the track. If the car goes right make the ladder bar adjuster longer on the right side. If it goes left make it shorter. It won't take much and if the car is set up close there won't be any more than a couple of flats of adjustment to make the car leave straight. When I was running a ladder bar car this technique always worked for me. As Ken says, your mileage may vary =; .

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes