Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:16 am 

Looks like he needs some pre load on the right wheelie bar. It didn't hit the ground but the left one did. That is a good looking car for a ford ;-) #-o =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am 

nlmsc33 wrote:
7.97 @ 171 & lifted twice... hit the brakes once.

backhalf car... 10.5W tire... lotsa motor.... lotsa spray

watch the launch a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1jWKcJE ... re=related

whaddya see.. whaddya think it needs & why??

The right side hooked harder, needs to have the corner weights balanced. :-k
Maybe mismatched R&L tires, or tire pressure.
Oh and matching wheels, prostars up front, and alumastars in back. [-X =;

Oh and I only watched it once, since it was showing every other .05 seconds.. ](*,)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 am 

Ok, from what I saw is this and my reasons, on the initial hit, the body squated down a bit, and to combat that, I would add a click or two on the compression knob on each rear shock. Now the right rear squated even more than the left side did, this I would say is a preload problem, and if he has a anti roll bar, to tweak it back just a little bit and take some preload OUT of it.

This chassis also could be double checked for axle squarness in the chassis to make sure THAT is not the problem and that the wheel base is identical on both sides. Make sure your crew helper puts this car right back into the burnout tracks and get the car lined up straight as possible.

After watching it again, it looks to be bouncing off the line also, so he may want to go up on his tire psi by 1/2 lb. but again, looks like the rear shocks, or tire pressure is causing it to be a little spongy as well, and you can hear it load, and then unload a few times before he pedals it. IF, these adjustments don't help this chassis out, he may want to go into the 4 link if he has one and change his I/C to a little bit farther out and down just a touch, and this should help balance out the pitch on the rear end a little, I see no need to ride on the wheelie bar wheels, but to use them only if too much traction is available, not as a helper of traction as this can cause turns and damage down the lane over time. My 2 cents worth.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'd like to elaborate on the rear square to the chassis and wheel base same on both sides statement. IMHO the second part of that statement might not be as important as we think. The first Camaro I built wound up with 1.5 inches longer wheel base on one side than the other. Top Fuel guys like Gartlis have been using this as an "ET Element" as he called it since back in the 1970s. So IMHO it's MORE important to have the rear axle at 90* to the chassis CENTER LINE than the wheel base exact on both sides.

If you have your car aligned on a 4 wheel alignment rack they call this "Thrust Angle" and when I had the Camaro done a couple of years back he showed me where my rear housing was .800 off of square with the chassis center line at the rear tire. I took the car home, put it on jack stands and lined it out on the floor and damn if I didn't get about the same thing his alignment rack did! All it took was masking tape, a tape measure, a home made divider, some string and a plumb bob. And you can add about a days work to that too.

Bottom line is that the chassis on this car IS out of square also but now the rear end is square to the chassis center/thrust line. The main thing is that she goes straight and since I got the rear spring rate right she drives like a dream too! ;-) \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am 

Well that makes sense Ken, I'll even believe you =; =; so, does your Camaro kind of dog track a pinch then even though your axle is in alignment with your chassis C/L-Thrust line???? if it does you probably can't even tell huh? =D> Good info Ken, thanks for sharing this.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes