Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Trans shield
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:42 pm 

Just heard that you don't need the part of the shield that wraps around the pan if you have a cast aluminum pan!!!!!! Anyone???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: Trans shield
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any rule book info on this but not sure I'd agree with that one? It's one of those "what if" deals with me as if the drum explodes that top shield probably won't stay in place if that bottom band isn't there and the .050 aluminum floor in my car probably won't keep the whole works from coming in the car? I do think I would run the bottom band even if "they" say you could run without it. The one on my car is 1.25 wide x .140 thick 304 SS and I do have a cast BTE pan.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 am 

best thing I did was buy a Dedenbear case, done away with all them bulky shields and straps.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

PSweeney wrote:
best thing I did was buy a Dedenbear case, done away with all them bulky shields and straps.

Yeah well, if I lived in the UK like you I'd probably have one of those as well but since I got 6 of those OEM cases I'd be a fool to pay that much money for a Dedenbear when it's not needed. I've seen those OEMs hold up behind 900+ HP.

Phil there's also one critical element of this that you might have forgotten. I'M CHEAP! =; The five minutes it takes to install that shield isn't a problem for me cuz I got more time than money. \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:45 pm 

Rule book states that: "All non-blanket type shields must incorporate two (or one, per manufacturer's instructions) 3/4 x 1/8-inch straps that bolt to the shield on each side and pass under the transmission pan, or transmission pan must be labeled as meeting SFI Spec 4.1."

I guess you could run it without the straps, but I've never seen a SFI pan before......I know they are out there, just not sure where to get them.

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
PSweeney wrote:

Yeah well, if I lived in the UK like you I'd probably have one of those as well but since I got 6 of those OEM cases I'd be a fool to pay that much money for a Dedenbear when it's not needed. I've seen those OEMs hold up behind 900+ HP.

Phil there's also one critical element of this that you might have forgotten. I'M CHEAP! =; The five minutes it takes to install that shield isn't a problem for me cuz I got more time than money. \:D/

the OEM cases are good but do crack in the bellhousing on tube cars if not mounted properly. I spent a while prepping an OEM case (polished the bloody thing too) but having bolted on the trans shield it took up all my pedal space in the altered

No harm in being cheap Ken, I'm somewhat frugal myself but I'm a sucker for nice shiney machined race parts....it's my only vice ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:30 am 

Beretta wrote:
Just heard that you don't need the part of the shield that wraps around the pan if you have a cast aluminum pan!!!!!! Anyone???

For sure not true ... I had a stock case in my car a few yrs back, it was missing the bottom bracket under the cast pan. Tech busted me, told me to have it on before the next time I come back or Id not be racing. #-o

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes