Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Part Identification
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 am 

Hey all, hopefully i can do this without needing a pic. I took my glide in to have it freshened up. I went by to check on it yesterday and all looked ok BUT there was one piece he was asking about. There is something that appears to be a solenoid mounted directly to the valve body. it has 2 wires coming off it, BUT they were not hooked up to anything. The guy told me it looked like a dump valve from something that was tapped into the valve body. he said he had never seen it nor did he understand what was trying to be accomplished with this (especially since it wasnt hooked up). anyway, i know that is kinda vague but does anyone know what i am talking about?

Well, then why did you bring it in???
Here's your sign...

Post subject: Re: Part Identification
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Might be an electrical shift mechanism. Some ppl ran those when air shifters and solenoids mounted on the shifter were outlawed.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:30 pm 

Sorry, you'll need the pict. Your trans builder SHOULD understand what all the passages do in a glide VB, and be able to figure out what the purpose is. I alway built my own, and have flow charts to show what all the passages do. Besides the internal electric shift, they did make an internal brake for those wishing to hide it. It did suffer an issue with the passage for the brake being so small it was easy to get plugged up, I think I may have one at home If you van get pics with it apart I may be able to decipher it for you.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm 

Internal brake???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 pm 

It sounds like the electric shift that ken mentioned. I have one from Trans-King (who is no longer in business since the Galveston hurricane).

It is a small solenoid normally used as a lockup for OEM trannys. It is in the valve body in the side opposite the manual shift spool. It took me a while to follow the passages and fully understand what was going on in there and how it worked. It was not obvious how it makes the shift happen. Mine would not shift when I first had the roadster running and I was going to return it until I found out they were out of biz, so I tore it apart to see what made it work. I could probably tell for sure if I saw a pic.

The other possibility I thought of is these supposedly faster releasing brakes that are "double dump" or "triple dump", but I don't have any idea if they use another solenoid or how they work.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 am 

My trans guy said with some time to trace down the passages, etc. he could figure it out, but I just told him not to worry about it because it wasnt hooked up anyway. I was just wanting to know because of sheer curiousity. I'll see if I can get a pic. He may have it put back together now, though.

The electric shifter is probably right. EVERYTHING else on this car is older technology so that's probably the answer.

Thanks everybody!

Well, then why did you bring it in???
Here's your sign...

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes