Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Race Car Alignment?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Well, after having problems with the last alignment that was done on my Camaro I went looking for another shop to "re-doo" it to fix the problem. Went to two shops and got the "dear in the headlights" look so I decided that I'd look into this myself. Found an alignment gauge on fleabay for a "C" note and bought it. Had a friend make me an adapter to fit it on my Mustang spindle so I'm at a point now that I need a pair of "used" turn plates so I can do my own alignments from now on.

So, any of you guys know of anyone with a "cheap" pair of used turn plates that they'd part with?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Race Car Alignment?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm 

Damn ken I wish you would of said somthing earler I just threw a pairr away. I gave them to our junk man. Ill keep my eyes open for anouther pair.. KrazyKen

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm 

Ken, Do you know what the alignment specs for an A-frame car are supposed to be.
When we dirt raced, I made a set from boat seat swivel's from wally world.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Mark what it's "suppose" to be on a drag car probably depends on the way the chassis was built. The drivers side camber is off so I'll check the pass. side to see what caster and camber is and then set the driver side to that. If memory serves we wound up with 6* caster and zero on camber on the Studebaker with toe at around a 32nd. There is enough caster in that thing that sitting still the front end moves side to side when I turn the steering wheel. From what I've read, positive caster makes one drive better at speed and some cars I've read about had as much as 8*. I guess if we were trying to turn left at speed things would be a little different starting with tires on the front that were wider than 4". ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:29 pm 

I have been doing alignments for over 20 years and have been doing a lot of drag cars including some outlaw and pro mod cars. With a-arms and factory struts/front clip you can usually only get 3 or 4 degree positive caster with aftermarket struts/fabbed front clip 10 to 12. You're right Ken the more positive caster you put in it the better it will handle at speed. You will want the caster within 1/2 degree from side to side, I usually get them dead even but sometimes have to settle for .2 difference. The camber should set to 0 plus or minus .25 degree. and again try to keep it within 1/2 degree difference side to side. Camber isn't as critical to handling but affects tire wear which isn't much of a concern on a drag car because the tires usually need replacing before you wear them out. Total toe in should be about 1/16 inch. Something critical that most people and almost no alignment shops bother checking is bumpsteer. If you have a stock front clip including stock steering linkage and gear bumpsteer usually isn't a problem. Anything modified, including drastic caster changes it needs to be checked and almost always needs to be corrected. Because when you change the caster angle it changes the location of the steering arm bumpsteer should be checked last. Ken if you were a little closer I could hook you up with a real alignment ;-)

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm 

LF 1* pos camber and 1* pos caster
RF 3* Neg camber and 3* pos caster
This is good for a dirt car with manual steering, if power steering, raise the RF caster to 7* pos

Just in case anybody wants to go round & round. =;

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a pic of that new gauge I bought.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm 

Keep in mind the alignment surface needs to be as close to perfectly level both side to side and front to rear for any readings to be valid.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes