Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Torque Converter
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I finally found what I think is a good deal on a used converter. Guy on RJ named Darrell Beller in Fla had a Transmission Specialties 8" spragless for a 1/4" mid plate for $300 plus the ride. I had'em ship it to BTE for stall tweak and general checkout and it went out this afternoon. This one will be setup to stall up around 6800RPM and we'll see where it goes from there. \:D/

Looks like an early Christmas............some more! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Torque Converter
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:11 pm 

Are you going to get to test anymore this year? I think most are closed here..

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Well, I called and talked to Brian at BTE just now and the converter got there yesterday so they guy in FLA did what he said he would do. And, that converter is exactly what he said it was. Brian says they'll probably put it back together today and ship it back to me tomorrow, which means that Pit Bitch will have some work to do very soon!

So the bottom line is that I'll basically have a new converter for under $600 sitting on my door step in a few days, which ain't bad considering that it's an 8" spragless @ 6800+ stall.

Now all I need is a pretty weekend down in Carolina and we'll be smelling some smoke and checking it out! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 pm 

good deal Ken sounds like ya got a sweet deal :)

I assume you made it so loose to be consistent ? I've never had much luck with that loose in door cars but the dragsters seemed to love it. Trying to learn here :) thanks for sharing

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hammertime wrote:
good deal Ken sounds like ya got a sweet deal :)

I assume you made it so loose to be consistent ? I've never had much luck with that loose in door cars but the dragsters seemed to love it. Trying to learn here :) thanks for sharing

David most of this is based on what guys here have indicated that works. Scott runs a super loose verter as does Randy355 and I think Rick360s is loose also. I've also had some positive experience with the Studebaker and a way loose verter last year so I just figured I'd give it a try. If it don't work, then it's another buck 75 to tighten it up. With what I got in it I can afford to have it worked on again if it needs it.

It's only money! =;

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 pm 

way cool, I went 4 tenths and 4mph faster with a 4500 8" ati vert over a 3600 10 vert
this is on a oem 350 with a small cam vert was set up to be 4500 on my motor

http://www.s10dragracer.com/

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Ok so I finally opened up Faye's torque converter box and to my surprise, THIS IS A NICE LOOKING PIECE! Transmission Specialties brand reworked by BTE but the EXTERIOR of this thing makes a BTE converter look like hobbled together junk! The flywheel half looks like a billet piece, not a patched up piece of junk like most. THIS IS A WELL BUILT CONVERTER! \:D/

8" Spragless, 6800RPM stall. Let's hope it performs as good as it looks. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 pm 

The local builder here, FTI, uses the same components from TS. All new Opal design parts, no more used revamped stuff anymore. Machined cast steel stator as well, I saw all the parts that went into mine. TS will supply other converter companies with parts to put them together.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Mark, I went to their website and looks like they got their s**t together. Brian at BTE had NOTHING bad to say about them. I paid Darrell Beller $330 for it shipped to BTE and they charged me $195 shipped for tweaking the stall up. $525 ain't bad for what is essentially a new converter. That thing would have cost me over a grand if I had of bought Faye a new one. =;

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:08 am 

Mine was right at $800 new with all the new parts. Greg is a racer as well, runs a hardtail dragster. And a lot of guys down here are starting to run his stuff, and I have heard no one complain.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:15 am 
Site Admin

I'm really looking forward to running that thing but it will probably be into next season before it actually gets in the car. The sheet metal manifold is suppose to be here tomorrow for a "test fit" and if I get that then I'll leave everything else like it is for an A/B test. After i get the dual alky 750s tweaked I'll change the converter for another A/B test. Really looking forward to running some 5.30s next year!

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes