Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Wilwood brakes
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm 

Well found another problem with the car the brakes will not release after bleeding and checking the master cylinder the brakes was still holding the tires from almost moving they was real hard to turn .
so pulled them off the car and they all need rebuilt so i ordered the kits for them today and pads to try to get this thing to roll .

Seems like everybody i know with these things has the same problem .

if i have this problem again any time soon they will come off and it will get aerospace on it.

Post subject: Re: Wilwood brakes
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:08 pm 

Last dragster I took the Aerospace off and put Willwood's on they stopped awesome @ bracket finals they took the pad right off the metal and one caliper hung up and car went right hard, it free'd but not before going into the sandbox

Called Willwood after I found what the pad did, the "smart pad" they sell is for street car use only ... the first guy I spoke with said it would be fine ... I now run strange with hawk pads .. you wanna talk about stopping power these strange are awesome !

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm 

Dave i have used them all at some point this is the third pair of wilwoods i have had and the second ones that i have had problems with now on the same hand i don't know how old they are or how much abuse they have been through .

but all the aerospace brakes come with hawk pads . and I'm sure people have had problems with all the brakes out there although i never had a problem with strange brakes either but i get calls all the time with complaints about the wilwood brakes i kid you not i mean two to three calls a week so i know it isn't just me .

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:14 am 

Ron where's the master cyd?? Get Strange brakes......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 am 

Ron we get the same complaint with the Aerospace around here. Lots have switched to the cast iron Wilwood setup now, no rotor warp.

Fleenor Racing Glides

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Got Wilwood's on all 4 corners and their dual master cylinder setup. Had some problems with balance but once I got that ironed out they have been OK.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 pm 

I'm going to rebuild these and hope they will be OK if not i did some measurements and looks like the aerospace caliper will work out i just hope this works not really in the budget OH wait there is no Budget it has been gone for a while now. O:)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm 

How often are you guys changing the brake fluid? It absorbs water from the atmosphere and turns to junk in a very short time if the calipers get very hot when you use them. One night of circle track or a few half-hour sessions in a day of road course racing and it needs to be flushed with new fluid and changed, particularly if you race in high humidity conditions. None of you people have that kind of weather, do you? When the fluid absorbs water it lowers the boiling point and starts to attack the caliper bore and piston.

With aluminum calipers, measure to see if they are wider on the trailing end in the direction of rotation. It gets hotter in operation and suffers distortion before the cooler leading end. If the caliper is tapered or spread at the bottom, the bores are not perpendicular to the rotor and the pistons will stick.

Been through all this and more tending to a car with aluminum calipers and brakes too small for the road racing use. Even with good brakes, a circle track car on a half mile is helpless in about 15 laps on the second week with the same brake fluid. Brake fluid is an expendable, like motor oil or spark plugs.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:41 pm 

I got these apart and they really don't look to bad i think a little cleaning of the pistons and new seals they will be OK and new pads of course inside of the calipers looks good there is a small mark on the coating you cant feel it you can just see it has some of the coating worn a little the piston turn free inside the housing so the parts will be here tomorrow and we will see if that fixes it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Admin

I run DOT 5 silicon fluid. Is that any better than the DOT 3 stuff? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am 

My understanding of the silicone brake fluid is it doesn't draw moisture like the regular dot 3 stuff but it will boil at a lower temperature making it less desirable for performance applications.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 am 

I also thought it will eat seals if not the proper material :-k ......I use Dot 4 just a higher boiling point that dot 3.....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

DOT 5 has been in the Studebaker since 1991! NEVER added a drop to it in all those years either so the seal thingie is likely a myth. I have been told not to mix it with any other stuff though.

As far as the heat issue goes, I had those Mustang II 9 inch rotors SMOKING after quarter mile passes at 135 MPH but never experienced pedal fade or any other issue that I would contribute to the DOT5 stuff. I did burn up two sets of front pads though before I switched over to metalic pads and they seem to be better at stopping that heavy car at speed.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm 

Well guy's i got the calipers rebuilt today needless to say there isn't much to them polished up the pistons and new seals cleaned and lubed everything and put back on and bled them they do release now not as free as i would like but at least you can turn them with out any effort so at least that is done and went with out any problems and got the washers on the bottom tie rod ends that the tech dept. said i had to have and also put ground straps on my plastic fuel cell and the aluminum primer cell so as soon as my engine diaper is done it will be good for any tech lane i think. =;

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
My understanding of the silicone brake fluid is it doesn't draw moisture like the regular dot 3 stuff but it will boil at a lower temperature making it less desirable for performance applications.

This is what I am told also ..

Fleenor Racing Glides

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes