Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Brake issues
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm 

My problem is I did a gear change I removed the rear calipers not undoing any lines. I put them back on and all of a sudden I have a real crappy pedal, We bled it to try and make it better. NOW I need to pump it 2 - 4 times to get somewhat of a decent pedal, then its fine for a about 15 seconds then goes to the floor. I've bled them countless times, tried different master cylinders tried different flex lines (Braided) . It seems like i've tried everything, and have not seen any improvement. the brakes are non-power assisted and have no emergency brake hooked up

I forgot to mention we hooked up a guage to the front and then to the rear and we get 900 lbs PSI front and rear

BTW I have new 4 piston Willwood calipers all around and tried two different Strange 1" 1/8 new MC's. Mounted on the firewall. I have power bled and pedal bled and even gravity bled around 5 gallons YES 5 GALLONS!! of fluid and still it looses pedal pressure. No leaks and all lines hold pressure. We even put an inline bleeder on the highst point of the rear brake line.. and bled it there NO luck... I'm lost as is the techs at Willwood and Strange..ANYONE???

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post subject: Re: Brake issues
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm 

I know this may sound strange but was your calipers spaced with shims and if so did you check the spacing on them i had a similar problem like that once and it was the shims wasn't spaced right only one side of the piston was clamping tight on the rotor may want to check just a thought.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 pm 

It sounds like there may be something binding causing the caliper to reset when you let the brake rest. As ron said check to see if the calipers were installed & shimmed correctly. Make sure the rotors went on right and are seated on the axle flange. You can try pulling the wheels off and put a few lug nuts back on with spacers to clamp the rotor to the axle. Then watch the pads while someone pumps the brake. After the brake is released watch the pads. If they back off of the rotors any more than just enough to release the brake figure out why. I think you may have reassembled the calipers and/or brackets wrong when you mput it back together.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 pm 

Thanks guys I will check that

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Admin

ARE THE BLEEDERS AT THE TOP OF THE CALIPER? Because if you're trying to bleed the brakes with the bottom bleeder screw you'll get NOWHERE fast!

I know a guy that did this years ago and I went and looked at his car and sure enough, his calipers only had one bleed screw and it was on the bottom! Since air rises to the top in the system, it would NEVER come out.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:46 am 

Ken's right, I didn't mention the bleeders because he had a good brake before he removed the calipers and said he didn't disconnect the hoses. The other thing to keep in mind with this type of brake is when you have 2 bleeders at the top you have to bleed both of them (inboard and outboard). The same principle applies, air rises to the top and it has to be removed from the highest part.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 pm 

Calipers have 4 bleeders and I am bleeding from the 2 at the top Thanks

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm 

Well I took the day off I went out and put it all back to the way it was the last time I raced it.With the exception of adding a shim behind the pads.. I now have pedal. It is still mushy but it comes up with one pump. I put it on the street and the brakes held... MY neighbors are pissed !! I am going to load it up and take it to a parking lot and drive it..safely..Thank you very much for your help

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes