Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: 9" Carrier
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 am 

Just kinda confused and im sure someone can help me. I broke the caps off my stock nodular carrier and am unsure what to buy, Aluminum or Nodular. Which is stronger, the ford racing aluminium had aluminum caps the nodular has 4130 caps. My car weighs 3200lbs so saving the 10-15lbs going with aluminum really doesnt matter. The car turns 1.34 60ft, I just dont want to be doing this in another year cause I bought the wrong part!! Everyone loves pics so here you go!!

Post subject: Re: 9" Carrier
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 am 

I ran a strange 9" in the nova it was 3560 and never had a problem with it.

Moser makes a nice piece also i would stay with the steel in that heavy car the aluminum seems to have some flex in it and the gears don't seem to last as long and the 20 lbs isn't going to really make a difference at that weight.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I broke two pro gears sets in an aluminum case before the case itself finally went south. I put a Moser Nodular case in last time that I got from Ron and it was a nice piece, and is still in the car now. Like Ron says, aluminum might be OK for a dragster or roadster but for a heavy door car I think you're better off with the cast steel case.

EDIT: After looking at that pic again, it's difficult to tell if the cap or bolts broke first. I do think I'd go with a billet steel cap if they offer it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:17 am 

I ran a Strange lightweight aluminum center in mine. I was only getting 100-125 runs out of a ring & pinion because of the additional flex you get with the aluminum case and was used to getting 400-500 runs out of a gear in my old car that was heavier. I put an iron one in it this past year after the last R&P broke the extra 20 lbs. just isn't worth it. My car is under 2,300 lbs but it's a stick car. It does look like your bolts went first.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:19 am 

Hey you work for ford money is no problem. And what realy sucks is that happen in the last round. lol \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:02 pm 

Its hard to tell which broke first, the way the bolts broke it looks like they did then the caps. Kenny, I could have used first place money I even had the guy on the tree, but oh well. Not bad for not racing in 2 years huh, funny thing is I only made one time trial run!! I wish I had a good picture of the housing, it put the ring gear right out the back!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 pm 

Strange Ultra Case.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:37 pm 

Moser aluminum cases are pretty beefy and are a lot less money than the more pro type strange cases,the cheaper strange case(aluminum) has much smaller caps and I dont think it thru bolts as Moser does

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes