Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm 

Well after three weeks of trying to figure out what happened to my car i think we found the problem maybe.

We have taken this thing completely apart and laid it all on the ground and we have checked everything from end to end .

what we did find is that it is collapsing the cross member were the 4 link brackets is welded on on the left side the bottom of the bracket is 1 degree farther forward than on the right also the bottom of the cross member witch is a 2X3 on the left side bottom the cross member is now bulging as a become round at the bottom instead of flat like the right side .

Also noticed the sheet metal of the rear floor section were it was welded to the top of the cross member is torn loose and now sits over the cross member and as you go up the frame it also is tiring the floor pan loose from the rocker panel .

So Guess it is just ripping the car apart .

But what i still cant figure out is why the car is making such a hard left turn also checked the roll out of the tires and this set of phoenix tires the left tire is a 1/2 more roll out than the left. don't think the tires has anything to do with it because i have used three different sets of tires and it does the same thing.

We have once agian put it back on the scales to check everything this thing looks like a checker board with all the tape stuck all over it .
We got the instant center marked wheel base center line of the cam shaft ride height everything.
Although i guess it doesn't matter now since I'm going to cut the cross member out and put a new one in and redo most everything under there and start all over again damn thing it sure is time for the dragster now .

so i don't know if I'm gonna keep the nova and put a smaller engine back in it or sell it once it is fixed but a chassis car or a dragster is in the future for sure .

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:00 pm 

Hello; Its possibly much more out of alignment when loaded. What your seeing in the pits is the position after it has been flexed by load. If the left side is flexing forward the diff will be pointing towards the right front wheel a lttle bit and that will cause the car to turn left. the rear of the car drives right turning the car left, sort of like a forklift steering.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 pm 

Is that set up with a crossmember that the 4 link brackets are welded to? If it is IMO that's a sorry way to hang a 4 link. The crossmember will twist and your rear suspension is going to be all over the place. The brackets need to be inline with the frame rails. Pics would help.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 pm 

I will get some pic's but no the four link brackets are welded on round tube but there is in front of the round tube a 2X3 cross member from when it had a square tube back half under it.

A couple of years ago i had a round tube done with all new rear end housing and four link anti roll bar and wish bone so when they done that they attached the round tube to the 2x3 cross member and built off of that .

But pic's will definitely help so i will get some.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 am 
Site Admin

You had a good car and sold it!! Remember the Firebird that you got rid of before you ever made a pass in it? The one that I accused you of being scared of? O:)

If a dragster is in the back of your mind, then I'd put a s**t box SBC in that Nova and unload it on someone that wants to run 7.0s, which is about where it needs to be at that weight. Then you need to go get that digger you want and need to satisfy that "need for speed" you have that a door car just isn't going to give you!!

I've still got the SBC headers sitting here in the shop. If you want them back, just lemmie know! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 am 

Ron. I can see why your taking the left turn. When left link shortens the wheel base on left side, you get rear steer. This is something Roundy round racers use all the time to get in to corners and out. The sum of both back wheels pointing right makes the car go left. They just don't do it in this particular manor lol. It also shifts weight on your corners with the help of the throttle, depending on your instant centers. It does this because you have two different ICs when one is forward. Your deal would be ok for getting into a corner but bad for getting out.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:37 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
You had a good car and sold it!! Remember the Firebird that you got rid of before you ever made a pass in it? The one that I accused you of being scared of? O:)

If a dragster is in the back of your mind, then I'd put a s**t box SBC in that Nova and unload it on someone that wants to run 7.0s, which is about where it needs to be at that weight. Then you need to go get that digger you want and need to satisfy that "need for speed" you have that a door car just isn't going to give you!!

I've still got the SBC headers sitting here in the shop. If you want them back, just lemmie know! ;-)

Ken i definitely wasn't scared of it and i did real good on that car of course now i cant replace it and the dragster has been on my mind a lot especially since i drove my friends dragster .

I do like the speed for sure but i also want to be consistent i want to do a lot of the big dollar bracket races and I'm sure the dragster is going to be more suited for that than a door car although I'm a door car guy if i do another door car it will be one like the firebird for sure no more back half cars for me.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:31 pm 

Friend of mine has a nice racecraft for sell. Very consistant car. Let me know if you're interested.

Don

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 pm 

Hey Ron, if you decide to fix the nova let me know we can do it to whatever spec or chassis type you want,i am about an hour and a half from you

Jeff

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:13 pm 

Thanks Jeff i don't know what I'm going to do right now there is a few deals going on from some of the local guy's i may do some trading on it just not sure right now.

but I'm sure going to fix what i know is wrong with it then decide what to do keep it or sell it.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes