Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Bad suspension problem
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:09 pm 

Well guy's i tried to race the three day race at our local track this weekend and all i did was work on the car to not be able to get it down the track.

Something has happened to my car and we haven't been able to find it this weekend and we took the complete four link out at the track.

Well to start with i haven't been racing since i broke the ring and pinion at the last race and i just put a 486 gear in the car last week nothing else .

We get to the track very first time run came off the button the car launched and as soon as the front end touched the track the rear unloaded and went left and was all over the track drove it down to a 5.88 at 118 back at the trailer checked the tires seemed OK and a few other guy's had problems also so just blowed that one off . the next pass same thing and almost got in the grass and had to lift and just idle on down third pass even worse 60's was way off changed tires checked shock settings and springs went down on tire pressure from 7 lbs to 6.5 went back for the fourth pass and was just inches from the wall had to shut it off agian .

This time we got the car up on jack stands and started looking at the four link bars the left two bars was so tight i could move them with a pipe wrench like they was preloaded we took the complete four link apart and started checking everything we could didn't find any broken parts or bad joints put it back together set everything back to neutral moved the bottom bar's up one hole put it back on the ground tried to get a time run in but they wouldn't let me make one said it was getting to late .

So this morning it was one time run and race so i went in the tower lane this thing just blew the tires off it and fish tailed all the way down had to lift once and went a 5.99 at 116 .

There is something bad wrong with the car i have made a thousand runs on this car and never had it act like this i have check shocks just by hand and we moved the rear end up and down through the range with out the shocks hooked up looking for bind and nothing looks like the whole thing is going to have to come apart and gone over with a fine tooth comb .
wanted to run the toy's for totes race but may not make it back out this year especially if there is some big money to be spent on the car just cant happen this year.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Funny, I've been having problems with my car pretty much all year also? Hummmm..........

Mine did work pretty good last Friday at the T&T though. If fact, that was about the best it has run at that track all year!

I've been wondering if the people that make the traction compound had horked up a big batch that got sold to a bunch of tracks?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:19 pm 

What gear was in when you broke it? What tranny are you running? What size tire are you running? What engine size/hp? IC length? It's height? When you launch the car,...is the rear chassis sepperating?
How high are you lifting the front tires and how far out are you carrying them? Do you think this could be a bump steer problem?

Don

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 am 

The gear i broke was a 514 the engine is a alky injected 540 HP unknown the trans is a power glide with a 1.80 straight cut gear set the converter is a bte 6000 .

Last year i had the car scaled and it has been working fine with no problems until now it ran high 5.70's to 5.80's with a 1.27/28 60 foot .

when i broke the gear a friend at the track had a 410 we put it in the car to Finnish a three day race the car still drove fine with that gear it lost a ton in 60 went from a 1.28 to a 1.34 and lost MPH it went from the 120's to 115 and et went down to a 5.90 to 5.92 but drove fine all we did was put a 4.86 gear back in the car and everything has went to crap.

I'm going to pull the shocks and springs off the car and have them checked to see what they are now seems OK by hand but cant really tell that way so it isn't gonna cost me anything but time to get them checked out .

I do have the paper work some were when we scaled the car but right off hand i don't know what the IC and everything is at but it was logged off the computer when it was scaled.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:25 pm 

I'm wondering if the gear change is wanting a different ic location. But it's hard to tell without being there to see what the car is doing. If you can get the ic info it would help some, if you have access to it.

Don

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:29 pm 

I do have it when we scaled the car i will just have to find the sheet were ever i put it.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes