Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm 

hey all,
i have a friend who wants me to install my 1.76 planetary in his 1.82 powerglide,his transmission is a rear pump model.
I know he will need a tailshaft huosing,and a different input shaft...but I'm not sure about a new drum and governor support,any help would be appreciated

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

If this is a race car application with transbrake?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 pm 

fox body mustang,460 Ford big block(mild),street car,9" 4.88 gears,no transbrake,small nitrous kit 100-250 I think,but I don't know how much he will use it

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:15 pm 

inVEGArating wrote:
hey all,
i have a friend who wants me to install my 1.76 planetary in his 1.82 powerglide,his transmission is a rear pump model.
I know he will need a tailshaft huosing,and a different input shaft...but I'm not sure about a new drum and governor support,any help would be appreciated

The gerset will interchange without issue. The rear pump can be trashed. Why would you need a differant tailshaft?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:05 am 

hey Jody,
The output shaft on the 1.76 is longer than on this 1.82,so it will need a longer tailshaft housing.... there are two different length tailshaft housings for a powerglide,as well as two different length input shafts,also the high clutch drums from a 1.82 and 1.76 are different depths internally but I'm not sure if they are the same size externally,and i think the rear pump or gov. support is where the support bushing for the rear of the output shaft is so I think that something has to be there.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:52 am 

I have swapped out my 1.82's when they broke and dropped the 1.76's right in with the same tailshaft. I know there are some oddball glides out there but the ones I have dealt with will interchange. I didn't get a differant clutch drum either, I only run the 5-clutch pack too.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:59 am 

Is this a core your building that is all stock? What is the plan for this glide? HP? There are differant lenght out put shafts, use the 14 11/16. As for the input drum the big differance is the inside depth. Short and tall, either one will work, just depends on how many clutches you want. Go with a after market input shaft and your good. Are you going with a T-brake , Manual V.B. Or a stock set up?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:37 am 

The 1.82 he has is the short output shaft,coarse output spline (16 splines I think) ,rear pump. This trans. with the existing output spline cannot use the aftermarket yokes available which limits him to a 1310 series u-joint,plus the gearset is weak.
My question is:
1) the drum normally found in a 1.76 gearset powerglide has a 1 7/32" inside depth,the drum normally found in a 1.82 powerglide has a 1" inside depth, is this 7/32 difference also in the overall height of the drum?
2)when removing a rear pump what needs to be done to seal/ support the back of the trans.- are there any modifications that need to be done to the valve body?(factory valve body)
3)the 1.82 gearset has a captive thrust bearing the 1.76 has a torrington,are the overall installed dimensions the same?or does a difference in drum height show up here?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 am 

inVEGArating wrote:
The 1.82 he has is the short output shaft,coarse output spline (16 splines I think) ,rear pump. This trans. with the existing output spline cannot use the aftermarket yokes available which limits him to a 1310 series u-joint,plus the gearset is weak.
My question is:
1) the drum normally found in a 1.76 gearset powerglide has a 1 7/32" inside depth,the drum normally found in a 1.82 powerglide has a 1" inside depth, is this 7/32 difference also in the overall height of the drum?
2)when removing a rear pump what needs to be done to seal/ support the back of the trans.- are there any modifications that need to be done to the valve body?(factory valve body)
3)the 1.82 gearset has a captive thrust bearing the 1.76 has a torrington,are the overall installed dimensions the same?or does a difference in drum height show up here?

1. The drum is only different on the inside depth, you can use either one.
2. On the rear pump case, it was drilled different for the reverse apply. Are you using a T-brake, manual V.B or Stock (Auto Shift) ?
3. The only differance is in the input shaft use an after market one and it fits both gear sets

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Matt I spoke with Jeff on the phone about this Saturday and it's a stock valve body tranny, no brake or even a manual valve body conversion. I'm not qualified to say what will and will not work with this and I told him to contact you as you may have dealt with one of these in the past.

Me, I've built a couple of dozen of these over the years but the all got manual valve bodies with Tbrakes so I just junked the rear pump crap and machined the high gear piston for whatever clutch pack I was using at the time.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

Seems Im in need of some info on this also.just measured my (stock)glide input shaft and it measures 12 5/8 lenght.Isn' t this a 1.82 gearset?A 1.76 (stock) input shaft measures 12 7/8?... Thanks...Also wonder if I should find a 1.76 gear set..and not even fool with the 1.82?Friend ran a 1.82 gear set for a coule of seasons before it broke,2800 pounds and 6.8's 1/8.whatcha think? =;

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:55 am 
Site Admin

traysvega wrote:
Seems Im in need of some info on this also.just measured my (stock)glide input shaft and it measures 12 5/8 lenght.Isn' t this a 1.82 gearset?A 1.76 (stock) input shaft measures 12 7/8?... Thanks...Also wonder if I should find a 1.76 gear set..and not even fool with the 1.82?Friend ran a 1.82 gear set for a coule of seasons before it broke,2800 pounds and 6.8's 1/8.whatcha think? =;

Pardon me but you're already got that one and it's paid for! \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

I ran one in that first Camaro I had and it went two years before it went south. Broke it at Piedmont Dragway. Also have broken three rear gears at that track? O:) Yeah, that track HOOKS! =;

Barry has a 1:76 for sale in a bundle of stuff that you might talk him into separating out for a "buddy"! :-k

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:09 pm 

nlmsc33 wrote:
traysvega wrote:

I ran a 1.82 for the better part of year. It broke 25 ft off the line when I was down to 8 cars. It cost me a a shot at a win, a case & a 1.76 planetary to replace it.

You feeling lucky today.................... well ARE ya' ??? =; =;

Nope Never been a lucky kinda guy lol.Gonna hold out,seems close freind has a 1.76 setup he willing to possibly give me when he digs -r -up. \:D/ ..

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:10 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I ran one in that first Camaro I had and it went two years before it went south. Broke it at Piedmont Dragway. Also have broken three rear gears at that track? O:) Yeah, that track HOOKS! =;

Barry has a 1:76 for sale in a bundle of stuff that you might talk him into separating out for a "buddy"! :-k

Got one hopefully when a a buddy rumbles through he stock pile and finds it..We'lll see. =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes