Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: 9" Case
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm 

Well I broke another ring & pinion and have decided the 20 lbs. isn't worth the sacrifice in gear life. I have a Strange lightweight aluminum case in it now and I knew when I bought it that gear life would be less because the aluminum case isn't as rigid as the iron one. Strange told me when I bought this one (and still claims) that the gear life would only be about 10% less than with the iron. It works out to about 75% less for me. I made some calls today and I can buy a Strange case with 1/2" cap bolts and chrome-moly caps or I can buy a Yukon case with 5/8" cap bolts and forged caps. I can buy the Yukon for about 40 bucks less than the Strange but I'm more concerned about strength than I am about the 40 bucks. The Strange case is 6 lbs. lighter than the Yukon. So has anyone used either of these and with what results? Before this the last case I bought was a HRW. I"ve been told that they are no longer in business, that's too bad it was a very good part.

Scott don't bother showing me a pic of that ultra case, one of those just isn't in my budget 8-[ .

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: 9" Case
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm 

I am running the light weight strange and I am not seeing any excessive gear wear at all with a best 1.09 60 '. I was surprised that it did not . I bet your stick shift is just rough on it =; .

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:09 pm 

ky mustang wrote:
I am running the light weight strange and I am not seeing any excessive gear wear at all with a best 1.09 60 '. I was surprised that it did not . I bet your stick shift is just rough on it =; .

That's what I'm thinking. When mine is running right I 60 in the 1.17 - 1.19 range but with the 5 spd I pound on the R&P 5 times per pass.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 pm 

We were at Memphis a few years ago and I saw Jim Yates crew changing the center section in his prostocker. I asked them how many hits they put on them and he said about 50 , and that was a Mark Williams piece.

I have been fearing mine would break I have hit it with several 6000rpm launches. I just put my 4:30 gears in a few weeks ago and everything looked good though.

How many passes are you getting out of a set of tires ? This last set of goodyears I bought seemed to have givin up around 30 passes. I am a poor boy I can't afford that , might have to switch brands =;

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:21 am 

ky mustang wrote:
We were at Memphis a few years ago and I saw Jim Yates crew changing the center section in his prostocker. I asked them how many hits they put on them and he said about 50 , and that was a Mark Williams piece.

I have been fearing mine would break I have hit it with several 6000rpm launches. I just put my 4:30 gears in a few weeks ago and everything looked good though.

How many passes are you getting out of a set of tires ? This last set of goodyears I bought seemed to have givin up around 30 passes. I am a poor boy I can't afford that , might have to switch brands =;

I had over 200 on my last set of Mickeys and the reason I changed them is I was having trouble with the car going left. The new tires didn't change a thing it ended up being a problem with the clutch. Those old tires were still clocking 60s in the teens. I try to swap mine around every 20 passes.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm 

OK, I bought an iron Strange case and I should be putting it back in later today. Now I have a question for the guys running a fab housing. How much gear oil do you normally run? Do you run it up a certain level or just so many quarts?

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

Chuck, They told me 2 quarts is good........

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:56 pm 

That's what I had always run in this before. The gear oil that came out of when I tore it down this time was dark but that may have been from the gear failure. Usually he lube is full of metal but the color is the same as new lube. Until this year I had been racing 1/8 mile and now I'm racing 1/4. Just thought it may have been getting hotter.

Chuck's Automotive

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes