Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Powerglide seal
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:20 am 

The Fiat was running pretty good Saturday. Not as quick as I want but acceptable and reasonably consistant (8.62). Air wasnt very good. I was third round runner up due to the big red bulb (-.021). I had cut my second perfect light in time trials.
The rear seal on the tailshaft housing gave up and I have ATF all over. This is my first powerglide. The previous owner tells me that a brass bushing in the tailshaft housing wears out and then the seal gives up. Are these parts I can replace? Anyone have parts numbers or parts available? I suppose bushing, seal, and I imagine theres a gasket between tailshaft and main body? How about a roller bearing housing? would that be a possible cure for the problem? The Fiat is an altered and has a coupler instead of a driveshaft yoke.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Powerglide seal
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 am 

Pull the drive shaft out and remove the tail shaft housing. There is no gasket but an square O-ring between the tail shaft housing and the main case. You can in most cases use it over :-# ...Just take it to a trans shop and have them replace the bushing and I think it's the same as a th350....Take a good look at the drive shaft input as it may be chewed up and will need to be replaced...

If you want to go for a roller bearing tail then pm Ron Owens as he has them from BTE =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 am 

As Barry said it an easy fix. Just need a bushing driver. The parts are cheep, if you cant find them locally give me a call. I also have roller tail housing in stock. Matt 727-375-4737

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Admin

oldtimer if the bushing is shot, then I'd take a real close look at the yoke also as it may need to be replaced as well. The cost of the roller tailshaft housing isn't that much so iff'in you gots to do anything to the stocker I'd just replace it with the aftermarket roller unit. Oh, and don't believe it when someone tells you you got to run a hardened yoke with that roller bearing tailshaft cuz it ain't so. I've had one of those in my car now for three years WITHOUT a "hardened" yoke and there is zero wear in the area that the roller runs in! I run a plain old Spicer 1350 yoke in mine.

And on another note, do you have any vibration in the drive line down track? Honestly, I've never seen one of the stocker bushings wear out? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:47 am 

One more thing ](*,) ....Make sure the U-joint is in good shape as that will
wear the bushing out also....Go ahead and ask me why I know that O:) O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:02 pm 

No U-joint, just a coupler. I'm a little concerned about proper alignment if it wears out bushings.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

oldtimer wrote:
No U-joint, just a coupler. I'm a little concerned about proper alignment if it wears out bushings.

OK so you're right out of the tranny and into the coupler mounted where the pinion yoke usually goes then. Both dragsters had that setup but were "shorty" Glides. That means this is a hard tail car then, hey? If so, then yeah, I'd be looking at the alignment too.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 pm 

Yes it is a hardtail.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:21 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Yes it is a hardtail.

I have the same set up, pull the tail piece and measure the running clearance of the bushing to output shaft, might just be the seal gone bad.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:05 pm 

That would be way too easy. I am going to get a couple of extra seals. If I had one at the track I could have probably replaced seal only and been able to race on Sunday. I will have a replacement tailshaft housing in the trailer from now on.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:17 am 

oldtimer wrote:
That would be way too easy. I am going to get a couple of extra seals. If I had one at the track I could have probably replaced seal only and been able to race on Sunday. I will have a replacement tailshaft housing in the trailer from now on.

if you have mis-alignment bad enough to wipe out a bearing or crack a tail piece then you should be seeing some wear in the coupler itself and would possibly hear it when towing down. Do you have a rear trans mount or do you hang it off the mid plate ?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 am 

Just a followup. I pulled the tailshaft housing off the powerglide. 20 minutes at most. Pull the drive shaft and couplers, 5 bolts on the housing and slide it off. It looked to me as though this housing had cracked and been repaired just ahead of the seal area. The coupler was pretty rough in the bushing/seal area. I ordered up a JW tailshaft housing witha roller bearing. Much beefier tailshaft housing. I'm glad I went that way. The roller bearing requires fairly tight tolerance on the coupler O.D. I called Mark Williams and they ground one to size. They have them on the shelf sometimes. Had to modify my shifter mount just a little because of the extra beef in the housing. Everything fit well, looks good, I'm happier.
Now if I could cut a good light.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes