Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Rim Screws again
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:50 am 

SO I bought new wheels and figured I may as well drill them for screws before I mount he tires. All was going well till a momentary lapse in concentration led to me drilling the inside of one wheel 1in out of alignment with the outer screw holes. Since I'd drilled 2 holes before I noticed I just drilled the rest as per the template.

Will having the screws misaligned cause any issue with balance on the rims ? I'm thinking not because the added weight of the scres per side is equal ? or is it merely so the tires wrinkles from the screw point in the same place each side oof the tire ? if so will this cause a problem.

Post subject: Re: Rim Screws again
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 am 

rim screws .. who needs rim screws =; cant be no help on where to put them no reason to run them unless your really hauling the mail with a ton of power

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:11 am 

it would be nice if they were lined up from side to side but for years racers have not botthered lining them up until just recently

regards
rod

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am 
Site Admin

WR169 posted a link back a couple of weeks ago with info on the screws. I don't run'em any more but this last set of tires I put on did move some during the first 5 passes. One moved about 3 inches and the other moved less than an inch. I switched them side to side and will see if they move back. The Hoosiers I had on those Weld Pro Star wheels before the MTs NEVER MOVED AT ALL! Also had Hoosiers on the last digger I had with NO SCREWS and NO MOVEMENT. FWIW, I've talked to about a dozen ppl that DON'T run screws and about half those have "some" movement on the rim but it usually stops once it seats itself.

NOTICE: The old style Weld Drag Lite wheels MUST have screws in'em. I've seen those spin in the rim with STREET TIRES!

Do a search on WR169 posts over the last two months and see if you can find that link.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:57 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5973

according to the article it will cause the side walls twist and cause the car to pull on launch. I think the link is on the last page.

here is the link to the actual article.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cdd ... dd3d2bc/52

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:58 pm 

it was my intention to keep them aligned for this reason but they're only 1in or so out of alignment. My cars only 1600lbs but can 60ft down to 1.18 and I have just gone up to a 33in tire. It's a hardtail and has never gone anywhere but straight even on RWYB tracks. I'm running next week so I'll be testing the theory.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm 

oh and thanks for posting the link, it's a good mag.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:02 pm 

Your welcome. I hope it goes straight. Keep us updated on how it did. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE, well, I swapped tires/wheels side to side this morning and made 6 passes tonight and the tires moved about half the distance in the other direction so it looks like they'll stay where they are now but these MTs apparently aren't as strong in the bead area as the Hoosiers. It'll work though! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:59 pm 

Mine moved a little about 6" and now they seem to be locked down of course i broke the gear and the one that is in there now hurt the 60"s a lot so it isn't leaving as hard.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:39 am 

I've been thinking of screwing mine but just haven't messed with it yet. I hope to improve the sixty foot times in the future. I will have to swap them from side to side and see if they are still moving.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Jake, the Hoosiers I had on my car never moved any. With these MTs, the right rear moved about 3 inches in the first 5 passes. The left rear only moved about half an inch. When I swapped sides with them the one that had moved 3 inches moved back about and inch and a half and stopped moving after the 3rd pass. The other one moved back to zero and stayed there the rest of the night also. Bottom line is I'm still not going to drill those rims cuz i don't run tubes and the tires haven't moved enough to justify doing it.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:01 am 

I'm with you if I can get by without drilling holes I'm not going to. I'm on a 28x14.5 hoosier QTP and the chassis shop that worked on the car wants a full slick on here. They have both moved 3 to 4 inches. I will swap them and I hope they stop. What does your car weigh if you don't mind? If your pulling short times in the 1.1's and there staying in place I should be good. So far I have only been 1.34 this year. I'm trying to get it in the 1.2's.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

My car is 2425 with me in it and the engine is making around 775HP on a good day.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:03 am 

so do you guys believe running tubes is a must if running screws ? Mine are screwed without tubes and I've measured the pressure since mounting them and they've not lost anything ?

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes