Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Brake conversion
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am 

I'm just passing on some info from what i'm learning along the way if anyone else wants to make the conversion. I'll add pictures later after I take some.

A couple of weeks ago, while Jake was coming up on the converter the brake pedal went to the floor O:) . He pumped them up again and held it started to come up again and they went to the floor. [-( [-( By that time the tree came down so he went down the track to about the 60' and stepped on the brakes. It slowed the car down. So when he got to the pits I had him pump it again and hold, they went to the floor. Long story short the master cylinder is going.

We had talked a couple of months ago about going to a disk brake on the rear, because the car kept pushing when he went above 3k RPM while coming up on the converter. Moser now has a economy kit that they sell for $350. Summit also sells it for $348, Jeg's had it for $285. O:) So guess where we got it?

I was test fitting it after we pulled one of the axles. I slid the rotor over the studs and come to find out the axle flang was wider than the in side of the rotor ](*,) ](*,) . I called moser the next day after a night of scanning the internet and being bummed. Moser said that they turn the axle flange down to 5.800 from like 6.4. If they send out a rear end with disk brakes. So I can take it to a machine shop and get it done. The machine work was finished yesterday. Last night was our anniversery so no work on the car. [-X I also got a 70 corvette master cylinder. Manual 4 wheel disk. The brake kit does not come with brake hoses or banjo bolts. It is basically standard stock rotors, calipers, and brackets and hardware. I can get the pads or replacement peices from any parts store. I don't think it saves any weight though.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: Brake conversion
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 pm 

If it's like the vega, it created a little drag and will slow the car down. [-(

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:37 pm 

I also heard, disc brakes stop better than drums, but drums will actually hold the car on the line better.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 pm 

Mark we will find out this weekend and I will let you know. How much did it slow down? Donee We tested it out in the street. Brakes were cold and just tested down the road and back. it got up to 3k. I'll also let you know how it works.

Here are the pictures.

These are the 2 kits.

The disk kit weighs 24 lbs, the drum kit weighs 21 lbs. The rotor and drum both weigh 13 lbs.

Brake lines we a pain due to bracket bolts and the location of the inlet. I went through the hoses at Advance and these were close to what I need.

I had to grind the edges off. I also had to bend and twist them a little. Once I got them bolted in I had minimal caliper movement. so I took a pry bar and moved it to where it cleared everything. The shock mount was the big problem. All better now ;-)

Finally assembled

The rotor hat is a little thicker than the drum. So now we have more clearance between tire and frame. I'm kind of wondering about the 29.5 tires though. :-k I might have to get the hammer out O:) =;

I hope this helps anyone thinking of the change over.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

OK, lemmie get this straight. You spent a bunch of money, got heavier parts that will slow your wagon down and not work as well off the line as the drum brakes? Are there any positives to all this other than giving some guy a bunch of money to feed his family? O:) =; Don'cha just love it! \:D/ This sounds like some of the s**t I did to the Studeaker last winter! ](*,) I spent about $400 on it and only managed to slow it down about .4 seconds and now it can't be used to run the 7.95 index like I wanted it to do?? Yeah, even if it ain't broke, you can still probably fix it, hey!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:01 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
OK, lemmie get this straight. You spent a bunch of money, got heavier parts that will slow your wagon down and not work as well off the line as the drum brakes? Are there any positives to all this other than giving some guy a bunch of money to feed his family? O:) =; Don'cha just love it! \:D/ This sounds like some of the s**t I did to the Studeaker last winter! ](*,) I spent about $400 on it and only managed to slow it down about .4 seconds and now it can't be used to run the 7.95 index like I wanted it to do?? Yeah, even if it ain't broke, you can still probably fix it, hey!

This is what I like about this site there is always two sides to a story and that is some funny s--t It almost sounds like what I would do. 8-[

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:21 pm 

NOW NOW let's not jump to conclusions here. I haven't run it yet. :- It was broke in the first place. 6lbs in a 3060lb bracket car = a big dinner. =; The drums would only hold up to 3500 RPM when they were good. If I would have spent the $300 more for a wilwood set up, would you have said the same? :-s What did you get that slowed it down that much? :-k :-k I'll let you know Monday how it did. =;

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm 

Steve, There is a guy that has special linings for drum brakes and all the foot brakers out here use them....Some say that they can get 4000 rpm on the starting line O:) ....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:52 pm 

I hope it works good for you Steve, you can never have brakes that are too good on the other end of the track! I was just passing along what I had been told about the starting line, I use a trans brake and have 4 wheel disc. Let us know how it does on the starting line.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:45 pm 

We only got 1 run in before it down poured for about an hour [-( [-( [-( The air really sucked also. Anywho it started to push at about 3500 a about the same as the drum. Jake said he may have to push harder than he did on that run. On the other end he said it slowed quicker. Jake was looking more at stopping safely at US60 raceway. It has a short shut down. It ran a 7.13 off the idle and the left rear air bleed plugged. O:) ](*,) I talked to one of the guys that raced friday night with good air. He said he was about 8 numbers off due to the air. http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-alt ... 12:53%20PM

We will see next time out. Thanks for the input guys.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm 

Beretta wrote:
Steve, There is a guy that has special linings for drum brakes and all the foot brakers out here use them....Some say that they can get 4000 rpm on the starting line O:) ....

Would the lining be Kevlar??

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes