Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Need some Help!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:28 pm 

We have a 78 Camaro with a 4 link rear, We had the car set up where it would lift the front end about 6" to 8" on the launch then sit down and go straight all the way down the track. We have added about an additional 200 hp and probably close to 100 lbs of torque to the current set up. Now when we launch the car it picks up the left front of the car about 2'. The right side comes up but not anything like the left, then it wants to pull to right all the way down the track. We have checked everything to make sure nothing is out of adjustment or broken. Do we need an anti roll torsion bar, or can we adjust the 4 link set up? Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Need some Help!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 pm 

ANTI ROLL BARS ARE GREAT BUT, IF THE BUDGET DOESN'T ALLOW TRY SHORTENING THE TOP RIGHT BAR 1 FLAT PER RUN UNTIL IT GOES STRAIGHT.
Woops, didn't mean to be shouting [-(

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

You can do either/or. If bubster answers you he will tell you the anti-roll is a crutch that fixes the problem but not the cause and I agree with that. The other would be adding more preload to the right rear until she straightens out. Having said that, I put an anti-roll on mine but I would at least get it driving straight then the anti-roll will level the front on the launch. Ain't horsepower great?? =;

George

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am 

George is right That being said. The mre torque, the more torque roll, you have to control. An ARB will control mst but not all. The bigger and shorter the bar and arms, the more t will control.

The result of torque is taking pressure off your right rear contact patch. There are several ways to control this. As stated, a adjustment to shorten right upper link is one. Moving weight to make right rear heavier to start is another. Putting preload in left front spring will also make the right rear heavier. Setting the rear links at different IC will work also.

As you can see there are a lot of ways to skin the cat. One thing a lot of peope don't realoze is once the front is off the ground, it equalizes the rear contact pressure, because it has nothing to push off to do the torque roll. Of course when the front tires touch again you have it back.

I like a upper right link adjustment in conjunction with a little ride height raise in the left front.. This seems to have less drivibillity effects on shut down. Then put your Roll bar on for insurance.. The roll bar is the robin hood of springs. It takes from the rich and gives to the poor. Moves pressure from one side to the other.. If you loose traction, you loose contact pressure. An ARB can help at that point.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes