Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: tires
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:49 am 

Anyone had a problem with what looks like you "scrubbed" the rear tires with a wire wheel? Completely accross side to side and tire pressure didn't seem to effect much, on this.
I was running hoosier 33x15x15 DO5 , new set of tires and not a stiff sidewall. I had a 1.1 to 1.190 60 ft. the car weighs 2025lbs.
New motor in the car and this showed up, switched tires around and it cleaned up and then came back again. Did this a couple of times. These tires only had about 40 runs on them. I am just wandering if anyone else has had this problem.

Solid suspended altered with a 136" wheel base, 5500 stall 540 bbc around 800 ponies, glide and 4.29 rear gear.

Post subject: Re: tires
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm 

Is it on the whole tire or just spots ?

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm 

I haven't seen that on my car but I have seen it on my boy's Jr dragster. If it's the same thing it is the tire picking up the traction compound. We clean & treat the tires on the Jr. Cleaning them has been the key to traction and consistency for us.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 pm 

It is accross the entire tire..It looks like it would, I think anyway, the way it would look if you took a wire brush on a grinder and just touched it all the way aroyund the tire , side wall to sidewall. Just got off the phone with Hoosier and he is telling me to go to a CO7 tire and get away from the DO5.
I am going to get a new set of tires and just seeing maybe I am using the wrong compound, which hoosier recommended when I bought them.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:25 pm 

If it is compound that the tire has picked up it can be cleaned. I know it's more area than a jr tire but we raise the car and rinse the tire then spray it with a degreaser type soap. One of the guys is using simple green. Then using a pair of textured rubber gloves we scrub them. Then one guy rotates the tire while the other scrapes with a stiff putty knife. Some of the racers have a machine that they mount the wheels on that rotates them around 80 rpm. After it drys we use a roller bottle to cover the tread surface with a light coat of WD40. After the WD dries we wrap the tires, take it to the line and do a dry hop and stage. We could see a difference after the 1st cleaning but we repeated this every run for 3-4 runs before they cleaned up completely. The car 60s in the low 1.60 to high 1.50 range. Last week it went a 1.55 60.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 pm 

If it's roughed up it's one thing. If the tire looks like it's rolling joints, (little rolls of rubber) the tire is too soft for your traction and temps. Try a red Scotch brite wheel on a angle grinder, lightly grind. Wash with the simple green. You must know. every time you grind you narrow the sweet spot of your slip angle. (Takes some flexibility away) Not a lot but adds up. A harder compound may be what you need for the hot weather. This is a heat deal. Heat from turning and track temp.
The good thing is, you seen it all the way across the tire. This means your tire pressure and rim with are good.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:43 pm 

I am leaning towards the hoosiers CO7, but still not sure if I should go with a stiff sidewall or not.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:05 pm 

You need a soft sidewall with ridged suspension, not stiff, a harder compound will eliminate the feathering unless it's spinning. Hoosier makes a soft sidewall in the CO7 compound, I don't know in how many sizes though.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

MT 3088s are the ticket! Soft sidewall, gumballs and high growth, what you need with that light car. I ran those on the Camaro year before last and they did well even with a rear suspension.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:26 pm 

The 33x15x15 is the biggest tire I can use unless I get a spacers. My rims have a 3 1/2" bs and with this tire I have 1" of clearance on the frame rails. Dunno if i would care to run a spacer between yhe axle and the rim

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 pm 

I've had very good luck with the CO6 Hoosiers on my car, they are very good in hot weather, dewy and cold also. They are not as fast as gy's but also dont have the shake the gy's do.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes