Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: spools on the street
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am 

Hello every you,Rod Here, like to see what you guys think about a spool on the street, I hear things like its dangers,to its no big deal long as you slow down for truns, Thanks for any info

Post subject: Re: spools on the street
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

First, welcome Rod. Hope you enjoy your time here!

I've run both a posi and a spool in my 3500lb Pro Street Studebaker that ran 10.0s at 135 or so with zero problems. You'll get a little tire scrub around sharp 90* turns but other than that you won't know the difference. I have a friend that ran a spool in an 48 Anglia Pro Streeter with 440 Mopar for power and he also had no problems.

NEXT! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:07 pm 

i ran a spool in my street car for about 5 years and the only time it was awkward was when parallel parking,, as ken said it scrubs the tyres a bit in a turn .. i only changed when a detroit locker came up but considering going back to one

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:42 am 

Guys thanks for the info, I was looking at a blown 1967 camaro with 555 cu in and 40 spline axles and a spool , I did not what to have to change the axles to put a locker or a posi in it, no body makes a 40 spline ford 9inch locker, you hear all the storyes good and bad so I figured I would asked the guys that know

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Admin

As for the "I would asked the guys that know" part, it's all relative. We all know that modifying our cars is a give and take proposition. To gain performance requires that you sometimes have to give up some driveability. I've always said that what is considered to be "streetable" is relative because where one guy would consider a top fuel car with mufflers and headlights as "streetable", another would never consider running say a Dominator on a street car. So it all boils down to how much you will tolerate to gain X amount of performance. Yeah, "streetable" compared to what? =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 am 

555 with a blower, that should be fun. \:D/ A spool is fine as long as the highway is dry, wet roads and a locked rear cause disasters. [-X

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:27 pm 

When turning a car with a spool the tires are gonna at least chirp. I know a guy that got a ticket for that...just something else to consider.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 am 

Don't forget a spool in the rain, could be doing 360's when you hit the corners... O:)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:37 pm 

Would a locker be just as dangerous for locking up the rear end, on decelearation, especially in a corner?? Just wonder if you should get into the habit of kicking the clutch in with a Locker on the street

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:50 pm 

Ken is going to love this. :-

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/noslip.html

Jake has had his in his S10 for about 5 years. It takes some getting used to going around sharp turns but works good. I wouldn't recommend it in a work truck or hauler, but a cruiser you get the best of both worlds. Only real problem is after a turn when you get back in the gas it may not lock right up and the locked tire may spin. That is one of the things to get used to. It is easy to install also.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 pm 

henny496 wrote:
Would a locker be just as dangerous for locking up the rear end, on decelearation, especially in a corner?? Just wonder if you should get into the habit of kicking the clutch in with a Locker on the street

The power trax unlocks when you decelerate and make a small turn, even changing lanes. If you make the turn under power it will stay engaged.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

WR169 wrote:

Ken ran one of those in the 83 Chebby truck I got cuz where I use to live there was an up hill gravel driveway I had to get out of with the car trailer. It was a piece of s**t! Lasted about long enough for the warranty to run out and then it went in the s**t can and I put the stocker spyder gears back in it! NO MORE OF THOSE FOR ME! [-(

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:43 am 

told ya so ;-) =;

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Bought that PowerTrax Lock Rite from Summit racing for around $275 back some time in 1998. If memory serves, it only had a 12 month warranty and if memory serves again, it s**t the bed about 14 months after I bought it. I'd be running down the road and it would go to popping and you could feel the back end of the truck kinda wiggle when it did it cuz it was unloading one side or the other. it kept getting worse so as I said, it went file 13! I guess I shoulda just spent the money and bought an Auburn Gear posi unit instead. But you know me, I went the "cheap" route and it bit me in the ass! ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 am 

Yeah kind of the same for us also. Should have spent the money on a real posi. But got to get what you can at the time.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes