Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Tire Changer
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

For those of you who don’t have access to someone that will change your race tires, I’ve got an alternative for ya. First pic is of a tire changer I bought at Harbor Freight Tools here in town for around $50 or so. Notice that I had to “modify” it to use the bead breaker for these 15” wide wheels. Notice that the retainer piece on the floor has a piece of nylon strap tie wrapped to it along with a folded up hand towel to protect the wheel.

Second pic is a close up of that bead breaker mod. Notice that it’s not only up the shaft quite a bit, but it’s also out from it as well. FYI, that's a piece of 2x4 inch 11 ga tubing welded on there. Also notice the weld on the top shaft? Yeah, I cracked it first time I used it and had to weld it back up.

Here is the “world renound” “Pit Bitch” exercising himself breaking the bead on one of those BFM wheels! NOTE, the front bead breaks pretty easy. The back has to be done several times around the wheel to get it off. We probably go well over half way around the wheel to get the tire to separate fully on the back side.

And here’s the wheel with the tire gone. Notice the hifax (white plastic piece in the center of the wheel) used to hold the rim in place on the changer instead of just the red metal cross piece that is on top! That white piece has a 45* angle cut on the wheel side to center it up on the changer. Once you get the bead broken, it’s just a matter of using the standard tire remover bar (which is inserted in the bead breaker handle in pic #3) to take the tire off the rim. Two of us working on this took less than 30 minutes to get both of’em off.

While this setup wouldn't do for an every day operation, it does come in handy if you can't find anyone to change these on a tire machine. Oh, and did I mention that it's pretty cheap also? \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Tire Changer
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:02 pm 

That looks like it could be a new addition in my garage O:) .... Are your rims 15" wide ken????

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34542

How did you get the tires off the rim after you broke the bead???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Barry that's the one! That long bar standing up by that tire in the pick is the same bar that is inserted in the bead breaker in my pic and it has a piece on one end for removing the tire, and the other end is for putting it back on. It really works pretty good once you modify it. I've used it on front rims too and it works great on those as well.

I've also got a bubble balancer so I can balance all my own tires when I change'em. I've run tires I balanced on that bubble balancer at over 160MPH on a digger with zero problems!

Like I said, CHEAP and I guess I ought to make that my middle name, hey! \:D/

Edit: And yes Barry, those wheels are 15x15 inches!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:12 pm 

Who's the old coot in the red shirt??? =; =; =;

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Who's the old coot in the red shirt??? =; =; =;

FYI, That's "Pit Bitch" who has an earned Doctorate and is Vice President of Student Affairs at a local University with over 11,000 students! And he loves racing and getting down and dirty when he's not working! =;

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:02 am 

Ken, Post that pic of him full of grease working on the VW =; =; .......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Ken, Post that pic of him full of grease working on the VW =; =; .......

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes