Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: POS Converter Problems
 Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

Well, as most of you know, I sent the way loose converter off to BTE back about a month ago to have them a) switch it over to a Turbo spline and b) tighten it up about 500 RPM since it was stalling up around 4800. Got it back, put it in the car and went testing yesterday only to find out that now it stalls at 2800 RPM???? WTF! I mean now it stalls about 500 RPM less than the 9 incher that I had in it last week that didn't work worth a s**t?

So I guess I'll be going round and round with those guys this week. Hell, I guess I'll just get them to put it back like it was to begin with and just take the $400 loss on work that won't work plus shipping both ways twice! Bad part about it is I couldda got one like this off'in of Fleabay for about half of what I spent for them to "fix" this one and f**% it up! O:)

Oh, and that 650 double pumper I got from Jeff a couple of years back was just a tick quicker than the 750HP but ran the same MPH on that Strip Dominator single plane intake. Looks like it's going to be mid June or later now before we get back out with that car.

To be continued!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:00 pm 

Sounds like your gettin some of my luck....Sent a converter back to TCI with a broken sprag...Got it back put it in and broke it again doing the first burn out O:) ...They did fix it for nothing but would not pay for the shipping so Im done with them and did tell them that and will spread the news also....A$$ HO%%%%%%

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm 

I've had nothing but good luck with Coan converters. Might want to try em out. They are located just north of Indy. Been there a while back. They were great people and we even waited as they freshened the converter and tranny. That weekend my buddy was in a bind,..they were more then willoing to help out.

Don

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 am 

Hey guys,
Ken that sucks about the converter,I don't know of anyone that uses BTE,I hope that this is not a sign of thier work as I think you just put thier planeteries in your other tranny diden't you?
That is cool that the little 650 that could is still living large over in Virginia

Barry,I have had good experiences with TCI in the past but now they are owned by the COMP.,FAST,ZEX,RHS........whatever co. so things may change as these smaller co. are swallowed up by these bigger corporations.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:40 am 

Ken
Converter places can be a son of a gun to deal with sometimes (bte is the worst on my list though), Just this week I sent my converter back because stall was suppose to be 6400 it was 5800 (6700 when I sent it in) I call the company they said no proble we will fix it no cost being you just paid us, ok send it in they get it apart I tell them whats going on, 2 days later the boss calls back says its done, and back to where it was when I sent it in grrr (not where I want it) so he now think I should pay because they put it back. I flat out told him, 1 he could explain why its back to 6700 and not 6400 because I wont pay for 6700 its why I sent it in the first time, 2 he could put it back to 5800 and I'll send it to someone who can make it 6400. He said ok he wasnt going to argue the ups guy was standing here.. it showed up friday night. Converter companies can be jerks, I am still not happy its not at 6400 so I hope your luck is better then mine ..

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:06 pm 

Quote:
So I guess I'll be going round and round with those guys this week.

Just call Brian and quit bitching. He will make it good. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
Quote:
So I guess I'll be going round and round with those guys this week.

Just call Brian and quit bitching. He will make it good. ;-)

Actually this went thru Ron Owens and his guy is Ray. Ron was suppose to call'em today. I guess I'll know something in a day or two. I won't be able to pull it back down until next week anyway.

Anyone got a way loose 8 inch verter for sale cheap? O:)

Oh and Scott, we need to talk. What is a good time to call ya?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm 

After 9 tonight if that's ok.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:45 pm 

Ken i did call them this morning they said they would check it out and fix it i don't want you to eat the shipping so i will send you a tag to send it to them.
Sorry you had a problem with it i didn't work on it but i am a BTE dealer so i will help all i can with it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Ron. I'll call ya tomorrow.

Scott, I missed this message so how about some time tomorrow?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I've put this deal on the back burner for now. I'm not going to spend big bucks for a converter for this s**t box engine so I guess racing the Studebaker is out for now.

Was talking to Donee the other day and I may just go ahead and put the "Junk" engine in that car and see how much I can "de-tune" it. I've got a 600 vac secondary carb I could put on it and disconnect the secondaries to make it a 2 barrel. That might get it into the 7.90s hey.

I guess I need to concentrate on the Camaro for now though since I've only won 1 round this year! O:)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:59 pm 

Dave i have tried so many different companies it isn't funny from coan to ptc tci spec rite art carr and a lot more.
I have been running the soft hit BTE and love it i wanted a 6K for my car it is 6200 so it still works good for me .
The one before this one was a 9" PTC 5500 and i sent it back two times and payed thru the butt for the thing.
i have a 9' art carr that i ran for 4 years and never hurt it so i don't really know that the brand makes a difference there is only so much you can do to one so if the one you got makes you happy then there the one to use no matter what brand it is .
just my two cents and that's about what it's worth.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

OH, and let's be clear on this part. Both Ron and BTE have stated that they would do what was necessary to try to make this converter I sent off work but after thinking about how it was, I'm thinking that there was something bad wrong with it to begin with cuz it's a 10 incher and it's almost unheard of for one of those to stall up around 5K RPM on a POS 355 engine.

I've just gotten to the point that I don't want to waste any more money on that combo since I wasn't doing it for me. Times are tight and when you're on a fixed income they are even tighter, and going to get much worse! Only positive note is that hopefully the Gubmint can't lay me off and take away my SS checks! \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:54 pm 

Ken,
Did they cut open the converter? If the converter is ok on the inside then there is a restriction in the charge circuit. Basically the fluid is getting aerated which will allow the rpm to go to the moon.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
Ken,
Did they cut open the converter? If the converter is ok on the inside then there is a restriction in the charge circuit. Basically the fluid is getting aerated which will allow the rpm to go to the moon.

It was "going to the moon" before I sent it off and when I got it back, it was right at 2,000 RPM less dead stall on the Tbrake than before I sent it off. Only thing changed on my end was the addition of the 1:96 planetary! And yes, they cut it open and changed it to a Turbo input spline, along with "tweaking" the stall down 500 RPM.

Question, did you ever see a 10 inch converter that would stall that high on basically a stock 355 (about 360HP) engine?........ME NEITHER! So what all this means is that I need an 8 incher with BIG stall to work with this combo and I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a POS engine combo that was originally a truck engine.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes