Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: RIM SCREWS....
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:46 am 

Hey guys, I was wondering if I need to remove the slicks before I drill for the rim screws or can I leave them on. Never dealt with these things before and didnt know if it would ruin them if I screwed up. No pun intended. :-

6.11 ET
1.37 60 ft. (on motor so far)

Post subject: Re: RIM SCREWS....
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:14 pm 

If your very careful you can but you have to be ready when you break through the aluminum.
I had eight per side and increased it to 16 with the tires on.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

I GOT NONE PER SIDE! O:) AND I'VE ALSO HAD A BUNCH OF 60FT TIMES IN THE 1.TEENS DOWN TO 1.15 WITH NONE PER SIDE! ;-) I also had a dragster that before I got it was run with a 540BBC running 4.80s with NO screws. Only place I'd run'em is in a Weld Draglite wheel cuz they are crap in the tire bead area and the tires will spin on the wheels.

But yeah, if you must put'em in, years ago I drilled'em with the tires mounted. Just have to be careful like Scott says.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:02 pm 

Yeah, these are weld prostars. I marked them last week when I ran and they seem to be moving a little bit. I figured I'd go ahead and lock'em down. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm 

You can control the depth by cutting a piece of copper or aluminum tubing and sliding it over the drill bit, leaving just enough of the drill bit sticking out to break though the rim. When you have he length set, crimp the tubing to keep it from falling off. You can also use vacuum hose or plastic tubing.

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:31 am 

Screws are also a safety factor from keeping the tire from coming off the bead of the rim :-k ......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

dun2run wrote:
Yeah, these are weld prostars. I marked them last week when I ran and they seem to be moving a little bit. I figured I'd go ahead and lock'em down. Thanks.

Pro Stars are what I'm running on the Camaro. These are in their second season on this car. Notice the magic marker lines on the rim? These were marked the day I mounted them.

And Barry, if they were going to come off the bead, don't cha think that would have happened last year when it went in reverse at 125MPH and got sideways? I've taken tires off these wheels and I'm pretty confident that they're not coming off without a bead breaker doing it.

But, we all have different ways to doing things and where would the screw companies be if everyone thought like me. (probably getting a bail out from NObama, hey) Screws are not necessary on some applications (in my opinion) and they are necessary if YOU feel you need them. So there. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm 

I think Ken is lucky to not have to use screws. Maybe the grip factor between the tyre and the rim is good on his setup. But most people with cars of that acceleration needs rim screws or it moves. We used to use rim screws then I approached a rim manufacturer here to make us some beadlocks for drag racing sedans, which they did and now sell them. When we changed to beadlock rims the car went faster off the line. The tyre was pulling and distorting from the screw points and with the beadlock it stays smoother sidewall, less folding up. You can see the lines on the edge of the tyre marks on the track are straighter.

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Shrinker there's a boat load of cars around here that don't run screws any more. That trend started a few years back. Ya gotta remember though that my engine ain't making that much power and the car is kinda light at about 2155 lbs. BIG HP probably would dictate screws or bead locks.

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm 

Thats all good then because screws are a pain to do. We cant run without them though. We even had to double the number a few years ago as it was ripping them. But the bead lock rims are the way to go for us.

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:28 pm 

I just do what the GoodYear Engineers tell me. They say 16 per side to control harmonics in the side wall so that's what I run. :-$

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:06 am 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
I just do what the GoodYear Engineers tell me. They say 16 per side to control harmonics in the side wall so that's what I run. :-$

But you're not running Goodyear tires? #-o And neither am I. =;

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am 

I havent ran rim screws sense 2002, was told by chassis shop and both gy and hoosier no need if they arent moving. I mark them and watch at the start of season dont move, been 1.03 on the hose @2,000 lbs.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:44 am 

There is a great article in the May Fastest Street car Mag about indexing the rim screws. It stated that the srews must be aligned straight across from each other (inner and outer) on the same wheel. If they are not in line it will cause the car the car to launch left or right. I can't remember what they call it. Basically the inner side wall twists different than the outer. The car will go in the direction of the leading sidewall. That issue is not on line yet.

The the next day I was watching NHRA Today and they had a John Medlen answer a question about Keeping the tires from slipping on a TF or FC. He said that the old 16 bolt Bead lock was only supporting the half of the side wall and it was causing side wall twist so now they run 32 bolt bead locks. Interesting stuff.

They also talked about making sure the wheel weights are not in line with each other. Left wheel weight at 6 o'clock and the right wheel weight at 6 o'clock. It will cause a harmonic and a shake.

Some guys were talking the other day about mounting tires and how they leak through the side wall and spin on the rim. They said the rubbed Joy dishwashing liquid in side the tire and on the bead then mounted the tires.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

I coated the inside of mine with diswashing liquid also but I don't use it in the bead area. The Camaro hasn't been run since April 26th and the tires still have 7+psig in'em and we run like 9psig hot now.

I also used the dish stuff in the M/Ts that were on the car before these Hoosiers and they didn't leak very much either. The soap does work.

Oh, and I do remember somewhere along the way hearing that someone used RTV on the bead? Anyone else ever hear of that? :-k

I think when I put on my next set of tires, I'm just going to weld them to the rim and be done with it! O:) =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes