Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: had a Oil leak...
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm 

So I jacked the wagon up and found one of the cooler lines leaking at the fitting. The looked in side the bell housing and found a crack from the pump at about 9 o'clock to a little after 12 o'clock of the bell housing [-( [-( [-( I will have it all out tomorrow. Then I take pictures. Looks like we will be on the side line for a couple of weeks. =P~

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: had a Oil leak...
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Can you spell "midplate"? Seen this a dozen or more times in my life and the only way I've seen to stop it is with a midplate.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:01 am 

Steve, You have went over that line of power and to much twist O:) ....Like Ken said.........Your going to need a mid plate as it's just going to happen again....
More power and the weak link in your combination breaks/cracks ](*,) ](*,) ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 am 

If I go mid plate do do I have to change converters? Would a th400 hold up better? Could it be the new crank and flex plate made the gap to tight between the converter and flex plate? So many questions!! :-

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 am 

I would contact your convertor company and ask them for there recommendations because you can run a few different thickness's of midplates, and that is where you can get into trouble a little bit. I am pretty sure that you need a little bit longer snout on the convertor to compensate for the mid plate, but others may have the real answer, I myself do not have this problem anymore, nor did I have it before, but I have a solid mounted front plate on my engine and a poly mount on my trans mount and all is good for me. I don't know if a turbo would work better or not in this case area, anyone??????,
I don't think your crank and flex plate had anything to do with this Steve, it's all about torque and flex of the chassis and cross members. You can have the bell housing welded also to save some cash too, but if it goes into the bolt hole of the pump, you may have to look for another case, or, get a good welder and have him weld the hole up somewhat, drill and retap it, it is fixable, you just need to find exactly where the crack goes and stop it. You may want to pull the pump and see if it goes farther into the case also, and what a bummer for you guys, as you have had a few problems lately.... =P~ let us know what you find out.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:26 am 

Just make sure the pilot hole in the crank is the correct size and there isn't any interference that prevents the convertor from pulling up to the flexplate. The fact that you didn't have this problem until you changed those would make me double check those things. You should be able to use a 1/8 thick steel midplate and spacers between the convertor lugs and flexplate as long as the convertor snout still goes far enough into the crank to center it up.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 am 

gearhead1011 wrote:
Just make sure the pilot hole in the crank is the correct size and there isn't any interference that prevents the convertor from pulling up to the flexplate. The fact that you didn't have this problem until you changed those would make me double check those things. You should be able to use a 1/8 thick steel midplate and spacers between the convertor lugs and flexplate as long as the convertor snout still goes far enough into the crank to center it up.

Yeah, what he said too =; =; =; do you think you would need to space the convertor from the flex plate if you are already pulling it farther away from the crank with the midplate though???? what would this do for your setup but pull it out farther :-k :-k just curious gearhead1011 ;-) I would think that a different convertor with a longer snout may be needed if not in the crank enough with the midplate alone!!!! I would think it would be too short if anything :-k :-k

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 am 

Elkyman wrote:
gearhead1011 wrote:

Yeah, what he said too =; =; =; do you think you would need to space the convertor from the flex plate if you are already pulling it farther away from the crank with the midplate though???? what would this do for your setup but pull it out farther :-k :-k just curious gearhead1011 ;-) I would think that a different convertor with a longer snout may be needed if not in the crank enough with the midplate alone!!!! I would think it would be too short if anything :-k :-k

I'm thinking in terms of pulling the convertor hub out of the pump. I know you need a certain minimum amount of pump lug engagement and putting space between the transmission and block will pull the convertor out of the pump if you don't space it. The way I understand it you bolt the tranny up and push the convertor all the way back into the pump and measure the distance between the convertor lugs and the flexplate. I'm sure someone on here that actually runs an automatic will know how much =; .

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 am 

Thanks for the input guys. More stuff to check. I talked to Brad Goodman and he said he had another case and since the internals were good it wouldn't be to expensive to change over. The gap was tight before and Jake bolted up the converter this time so I don't know it it was any tighter than before. I'll check to night. I'm also finding out if we can run a midplate in our class.

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 am 

According to TCI and some other sites, end play between converter and flex plate is 1/8 to 3/16 inch.

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 am 

I run TCI's mid-plate flex-plate shield combination. It's 1/8 in. and you have to grind a little on the transmission bell houseing and trim some for the headers but the good part is when you pull the motor the trans does not move any because it is held up with the flex-plate shield. I use 1/8 in. thick machine washers between the flex plate and the converter to offset the thickness of the mid-plate.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Safety/

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Admin

With solid stock engine mounts an .093 plate should work fine as I have a friend with a back halfed Nova that had this problem and put in an .093 plate and the problem went away. That's what's in my Studebaker and I've had zero problems with it since I started using it back in 1992!

Main thing with the verter is that you still have some snout up in the crank hub when everything is bolted up. You DO NOT want the flywheel to carry the weight of the verter. That's what the crank snout and pump bushings are for!!

My Camaro has a 1/4 inch mid plate and that requires a special built verter with replaceable sleeves on that snout. Mine came with sleeves for stock (none), 1/8 and 1/4 inch mid plates.

Others are correct also in that the pump drive lugs need a minimum of 1/8 inch engagement and to be honest, I'd rather see that at 3/16.

On the Camaro I have 1/4 inch spacers that fit between the verter and flywheel. On the Studebaker I just use a standard 7/16 flat washer, which is like .072 thick. Make sure that whatever washers you use are all the same, ie, matched set in both thickness and diameter so that balance won't be thrown off.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 pm 

Had a little movement in free play no where near 1/8 inch. I have heard bad things come in 3's. first the heads, then the bottom end and now the trans. I hope that is all. Here are the pictures

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:40 pm 

That's junk........... #-o #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 pm 

What kind of transmission mount are you running? Hopefully it's not solid. You need to run the mid plate.

But while you have everything apart, take the drive shaft some where trust worthy and have it checked for straightness and balance. I've seen this a few times caused by it.

Don

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes