Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:45 pm 

Hey guys I got a question about my ride height on the s10. The front has stock coil springs, the rear backhalved with STRANGE single adjustable coilovers. My question is why has the passenger side of the truck dropped 1inch(front and back)? Ive made around 8 or ten passes since it was built. It was level before. Now, I am completely new to suspension tuning and know pretty much nothing about it so any help would be appreciated. By the way, tire pressure is the same on both sides and the coilovers are set the same on both brackets. Are the springs just breaking in or what? HELP!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 pm 

If everything is new I would say the springs are going to settle. But if they are off that much I think I would call the vendor and see what they have to say.
It should still be sitting level. But there are a few thing that could cause this, did you do any adjustments to the suspension at all?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 pm 

Check the upper front coil pocket on that low side. This is very hard to measure out and even some frame men get lost on it, but with you probably doing a wheelie and if it dropped hard once you can bend that pocket just a little and it shows up in inches of ride height. since the front on a pick up is the heavy end it shows as whole side low. If it is this, the pocket will not be necessarily high but moved twords the center line. The only good way to measure this is with a box tram and datum line or laser measuring system. You can eliminate the easy stuff first. place same height jack stands under even spots in the front to take weight off front, then you can compare the rear springs side to side for arch. Pay close attention to forward part of main leaf for any bend. This is where they usually take a dump. If you don't isolate the rear springs when checking you can get feed back from the fronts and vice versa. Then check the fronts. while checking spring height on fronts check the height of them front upper pockets. Do this on level ground. It will just give you an indicator something is wrong not how much or what way. Also check to see if fan is centered in shroud. Especially up and down. This is a tell tale sign also. I hope it is just a spring that went away. That's the easy fix.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm 

Nope, didnt do any adjustments. Everything is just how I installed them. It launches out of the hole straight and goes straight all the way down the track. As far as lifting the front end, its only picking up a few inches so its not slamming down.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 am 

I would make sure nothing is bound up....If it's all ok and you said it goes straight I would just leave it alone....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:31 am 

If you used a rear end in that that has the cast center like a 10 bolt it's possible that one or both of the tubes has rotated in the housing. This will change all the rear suspension dimensions. If that's the case you will want to fix that right away. If I work on a rear like that for racing I will usually weld the tubes in just to prevent something like that from happening.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm 

Pretty sure thats not the case. Its a new 9inch ford with ladder bars. NO LEAF SPRINGS. NO STOCK SUSPENSION AT ALL.
The coilovers are mounted as low as they will go on the brackets, I'm wondering would it hurt to move the low side coilover up one notch on the bracket to level it out. Any thoughts??

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 pm 

You could try it,...but I'm betting you will see nothing happen but the coil spring compress more. Look at the the front springs for your answer. Make sure they both match in every way. There may be a rubber piece thats in the spring bucket thats missing on the one side.

Don

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 pm 

Havent checked anything on the front yet. I just checked the springs a minute ago by jacking up the frame and letting the rear end hang by the shocks. I let all tension off of the springs and the low side was a 1/4 inch shorter than the driver side, like it has "broke in" or something. So if I do the same thing by jacking up the frame and tighten down the driver side spring about an inch more would that solve the problem without throwing everything off?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 pm 

If the free length of the springs are different from each other there junk then...

Get your self a set of Hyper coils there top notch and American made!!!!

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm 

no,...and here is why. [-X The cross corner weight. Jacking up your 1 back spring will try to compress the opposite side front spring. :---) Assuming you have about 125# springs on the rear and the stock springs up front were about 400# springs at least. You'd have to compress the 125# spring about 3.5 inches before you'd make the front change. Try it and see. [-(

If your wanting to even it out, shim the front spring thats on the same side as the low back side. This will lower the high side on the back. Won't take even 1/4 inch to make the difference. \:D/

Don

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:33 pm 

Check the front springs for sitting in the upper pocket correctly, the end of the spring needs to go into a small indentation and one may have not gotten in the pocket right and setteled and the other side didn't, obviuosly you need to pull the spring to see, or at least drop the lower A-arm from the ball joint on the spindle and lower it slowely so you can see up into the stock frame to see if the end of the spring hit the pocket and you may need to pull each shock also, this will make it easier, and check both sides. This may be it, and maybe not. :-k

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes