Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:28 am 

Hey guys,

Well, we tested the GTO Sat. and we were not expecting what happened, on the 1-2 gearchange, we lost all forward gears, but we still have reverse, but no forward gears at all except on the jack stands with no load on the rear tires, also when we put the trans in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear (TH 400), we need to spin the wheels by hand to get them spinning and they do NOT change speed with each gear change either :-k Any ideas or experiences on what may be broken or burnt???? the fluid was still red, and looked just a little foggy, but not much, did not smell burnt and has around 50 runs on it. I wouldn't think it would be the input shaft as we still have reverse under power, but we are thinking it did something to the clutches, drum of something, it is just weird the way it is acting. So, a rebuild is in order to get another chance on testing next weekend, then off to BG, Ky. for the NMCA race May 1-3, so if you got any ideas on what may have happened, I'm all ears, and thanks in advance.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi John,

Was any work done to the tranny i.e, rebuild or repair? My knowledge of the 400 is limited. I used to run one before going to the glide and got a quick run through on it when my tranny guy at the time had to go into it. If memory serves...all forward gears go through the forward clutch so that would be suspect. There is a forward clutch seal that, if blown, would cause a loss of pressure and could cause your problem. You could also just have some trash in the valve body.

Ken has me fairly up to speed on the glide but that 400 is a different critter. Let us know what you find.

George

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:46 pm 

sounds like you might have lost an input or output shaft to me, without any more information.

Don

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm 

Well, I got the trans pulled in about an hour, and the fluid IS burnt #-o and the owners trans guy seems to think it broke the clutch hub drum, but we know it fried the clutches from the fluid today, so we should know tomorrow or Wed. on exactly what happened.

George, yes, to your question, the owner had a guy from a GM dealership who goas way back with him that has been doing them for ohhh 30 years or so, so I would say he had his hands in it with some good parts tossed in also, this is a 472cuin Pontiac engine and man does it have the torque!!!
It's got Kauffman alum heads on it and Kauffman is saying to put a bigger cam stick in it :- man, back to the garage for that change out, so I told the owner to just run it this year and see how it goes as we need consistancy first once we get it sorted out with the new stiff sidewall tires, it is a brutal piece to drive as all I see on the hit is front fender, and not the right fender either O:) O:) it all happens so fast in this car that, I am just trying to hang on to it and keep it straight off the line then it is more manageable from there. The trans has about 50 passes on it also, funny thing is, all I hear about TH 400's is there so strong, yet many a racer has blowed one up many times in the search to keep one alive with some decent torque and power thrown to it!!!!!!! heck, my glide would love this engine for sure, and we thought about already so don't ask, my $3000. trans is stayin in MY car [-X =; I love my glide and will stick with it in my heavy chevy.

The input shaft is fine also and not one of those $100. shafts, this has some serious metal in it, and word is, there are only (2) true Pontiac parts in this engine, the block, and the timing cover and the rest is all aftermarket high end parts.

Is there a better drum that can be put into these 400's???? I know if you want a bullet proof trans from Rossler's, or Mike's it will cost a ton to keep it together, but they can handle tons of torque and power for there $3000.-5000. cost also O:)

I will keep you all informed as to what let loose in it. Thanks for all your replys guys. \:D/

ElkyJohn
Driver of Milt Schornack's
1970 Pontiac GTO Judge
car # 728 from the old days.
Ace Wilson's driver from 1965-1969
Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac Dealership in
Royal Oak, Mi.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am 

UPDATE***

I got some info back on what happened to the TH400 Trans today and it was surprising to me that this could cause this problem, but then again, I am not a trans guy. First, the pump with the metal o-rings on the backside were completely worn out, and this caused the hi-gear clutches to slip and eventually cook themselves, the intermediate clutches were in great shape. The trans guy said we will defenitly pickup in mph(2-3) and we should notice it off the line also, but no broken parts(that's a good thing) \:D/ So, it will be back together for this weekend's test session, again, and then off to BG for next weekend.
We should be good and ready if we can get up to 6 passes before the trip, can't wait.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 am 

Good to hear it was not too bad. =D> =D> Get to work on it and good luck testing. Times a wasting tic toc =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 pm 

Trans is back in, just need to add fluid tomorrow, go thru the gears a bunch of times to get the clutches good and wet, and then reload the trailer for this weekend, wish us luck.
The owner said there was hardly any metal O-ring left O:) Wwe will be ready, I think ;-)

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 pm 

Good luck and Keep us updated. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:29 am 

Aaaahhhh crap, we got a 1/2 pass only and then the rain came ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) it 60 footed 1.57 off idle, went about 1/2 a wheel turn off the line(not spin) than the torque came on, and DAAYYUM, did it come on, in the video, you could hear the torque try to rip the tires right of the rims, then it went for the center of the track, got out of the groove and I peddeled it back to the groove only to net a 7.01 et at the 1/8th @ 94mph, so it's not looking too good for BG, and now I see that four letter word ---- may be coming in for the weekend down there [-( [-(

I am going to get the car today, and we will do the trailer transfer of the car from Milts's trailer to mine and off we go back home to finish packing unless I see too much ---- in the forecast, we may not go due to this weather coming, but I will watch the weather channel closely this weekend and up until Wed. and make a decision then as we will leave early Thurs. morning.

I need to add some preload to the upper right control arm, and take off that stupid honkin monster rear sway bar off and get this thing back to twistin and fightin off the line again like last year, so cross your fingers for us guys that we can make the trip and have good weather also ;-)

Steve, we may be racing you :- and going up in class if we can't get some numbers on Fri. to work with, we will see.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes