Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: GM Rear suspension stuff
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:38 am 

Steve,

The owner has those crappy Jegs upper single adj. control arms, and solid one piece Edelbrock tube lowers with poly bushings on the bottom bars and rubber in the upper axle hsg. holes. We jammed on this monster rear sway bar like yours, but it bolts on to the lower arms, and air bags as well. We took it to a chassis guy last Fri. and found a bunch of preload on the driver side upper, and a pos. pinion angle of 1* so we took the preload out, got the pinion to neg 1* and we will run 5lbs in the left bag, and 10 in the rear as more will raise the body up too high. I think the right bag will need more air myself, but with the new Hoosier stiff sidewall tires we got on it now, we don't know what it will do on the first pass. We also took out the left front limiter snubber we added last year during some testing, so that will make a difference also. The rear shocks are also only 3 way setting shocks, and I told the owner we need better shocks front and rear to tune it better, and the rears are set tight, the fronts are set loose. The owner even wants to go back and try his Quadrajet carb??? I said WHAT???? are you nuts???? anyhoo, the guy is loosing his memory a little and just wants to get the car running low 10's and it should run 10:40-10:30's easily, so with some more tuning we should be right there for the 10:50 class in BG.

Did you see that Andy Warren went to another final in Fla.???????? man, he's doing good already!!! I will see him in BG also, and it should be a blast. Can't wait.

My Elky, it had all the good stuff in the rear, all control arms were dbl adj. with air bags, and QA1 shocks, 12 ways at all 4 corners, I had a track bar on it and neg 5* pinion angle. I ran up to 30 psi in the pass air bag and if lifted even almost in the front, but I have bars to the frame and a 12 point cage and two bars going to the engine bay as well. Now, I will have a 4 link and dbl adj. Afco, of Koni shocks and the same 12 bolt cut up to length for the 16 x 33 tires, and if it looks ok, I may not have to cut the fenders to stretch them, but it's not looking good so far, them 33's are some big meats for sure, so we may cut & stretch them for a better look, I hate it when the tires are 5 inches inboard of the fenders, looks like a turd this way :- Anyway, looks like MY rear suspension will change a ton, and the GTO we will just have to work on it to get consistant.

Are the pits in BG all grass and do they have showers there Steve???? Your turn.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 am 

Where to start? :-k The easy stuff first. Andy did a great job yesterday. I watched him on the live timer. It was pretty interesting. Watching live timer on computer and NHRA on TV. Andy talked Jake into running NMC this year. He lives about 10 minutes from us.

BG Has both pavement and Grass. Get there early Friday morning Before 10 am when the gates open and you will be on pavement. Remember they are on central time. Some get in the night before. Zombie got there on a thursday night and slept in line because they closed the gate just before he got there. They try to put NMC on the back edge of the pavement. So if you bring a tent you will have grass infront of your tow vehicle. Last year was our first year on the pavement. Even as a bracket car \:D/ \:D/ There will be vehicles all the way down to the Tech building at the end of the track. The grass area starts at about the 660' mark. But you also have the circle track (paved) to park in also.

The Showers are Kick a**. There are 2 different areas with about 4 stalls each men and womens. 5 sets of restrooms. It is a really nice set up. We spend the week end there.

I can't see 10.40's with a Q-jet. O:) As you can see ours is all stock. even the springs. the shocks are 3 way adjustable Comp eng. front is 90/10 back is 70/30. air bags 0 but available. Andy said we could use his adjustable control arms but we said no thanks. it works just fine now. I can honestly say the bar Kenny made is what stopped the twist. We had a sway bar and air in the bags when it was twisting like the top picture. Then kenny put the bar on and you see the difference. Also consistantcy improved.

Did you do all the changes to the elky for the bigger tire or was it because it didn't hook? From what I have seen of it it hooked OK.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am 

WR169 wrote:
Where to start? :-k The easy stuff first. Andy did a great job yesterday. I watched him on the live timer. It was pretty interesting. Watching live timer on computer and NHRA on TV. Andy talked Jake into running NMC this year. He lives about 10 minutes from us.

Yes he did do a good job, again ;-)

BG Has both pavement and Grass. Get there early Friday morning Before 10 am when the gates open and you will be on pavement. Remember they are on central time. Some get in the night before. Zombie got there on a thursday night and slept in line because they closed the gate just before he got there. They try to put NMC on the back edge of the pavement. So if you bring a tent you will have grass infront of your tow vehicle. Last year was our first year on the pavement. Even as a bracket car \:D/ \:D/ There will be vehicles all the way down to the Tech building at the end of the track. The grass area starts at about the 660' mark. But you also have the circle track (paved) to park in also.

The Showers are Kick a**. There are 2 different areas with about 4 stalls each men and womens. 5 sets of restrooms. It is a really nice set up. We spend the week end there.

Cool, I am hearing the same form many people about BG and it soulds like a good time, and the overnight deal with showers is the ONLY way to go for us budget racers.

I can't see 10.40's with a Q-jet. O:) As you can see ours is all stock. even the springs. the shocks are 3 way adjustable Comp eng. front is 90/10 back is 70/30. air bags 0 but available. Andy said we could use his adjustable control arms but we said no thanks. it works just fine now. I can honestly say the bar Kenny made is what stopped the twist. We had a sway bar and air in the bags when it was twisting like the top picture. Then kenny put the bar on and you see the difference. Also consistantcy improved.

I will be telling the owner that if he wants to use the quad again, I am not the one to drive his car as we will be stepping back into time if we use it, a restrictor in my mind no matter if it flows 900cfm or not, old school to me and I can tune a Holley in my sleep with some laps.

Did you do all the changes to the elky for the bigger tire or was it because it didn't hook? From what I have seen of it it hooked OK.

Well Steve, let me tell ya, it's been a challenge to say the least with my elky which is why I baught it, but with the weight it carries, and a trans brake, and a 10.5 tire, I am just beating the livin crap out of the tires with the weight, and if I had known earlier in the season last year, I would have tried the stiff sidewall tire and maybe it would had made a difference, and I am thinking it would have, but it't too late now, as I have sold everything off the back end except the complete rear axle assm., and Moser just told me I couldn't use 30 spline axles for my 16 x 33 tires due to soo much torque, yet, when I use there axle tech chart and find out I only have a little over 5100ftlbs of torque currently, they still want me to buy another axle and spol package and upgrade to the 35 spline???? Yes, I have twised the spline on one axle already, but it is within the acceptable range to reuse again, so I figured I would just have them shortened, and then cut the hsg. and be done with it, and save me a lot of money by upgrading to the 35 splies. I am just trying to figure out, that if I cut my axles, that makes them shorter right?, cool, this I know, now, I will have new splines which cures the twisted axle already, cool, and just get the hsg shortened, well, with the axles being cut shorter, will that make them weaker, or will they keep there strength being shortened????? Yes, they are used, and in good shape, but the weight loss of them being cut , and the hsg as well vs. the new heavier weight of the 16 x 33 tires and rims, I was thinking it would offset the weight itself by these changes!!!!!! or close to it, thoughts anyone?????

Yes, I believe in upgrading, but the Moser guy did his best to move parts for sure to me, and that, I didn't like, and they know better than to do this, but his job may be on the line so I could see this as a "must sell" for him possibly. I also got to thinking again about it, I am adding 5.5 more inches of rubber to the ground per side now, and, I will be in the rpm range of my torque peak also instead of 3800 max prior with the smaller tire, so that may just help me make the decision with the 35 spline axle upgrade right there as I will be slamming more torque to the wheels then, and the smaller tires would never hold the torque I have at 4800 rpms... So, I guess an upgrade is in the making and the elky won't make it to BG afterall, and I may have to cut the fenders to get the tires closer outboard to the fenderwells,(crap, I just put a new quarter fender on and had fresh paint in 2006) [-( [-( ](*,) ](*,) but, it needs to look good, not stupid with 5 inches of room, then those big tires way inside the wells...... So, all in all Steve, yes, it was hooking pretty good for the rpm I was leaving at, but I was leaving alot on the table that I COULD have been using, thus the bigger tire and as always, we want lower et's right and some more speed, so if I drop that 1.40 60ft. down to say, a 1.30, there is my tenth of an et faster that it previously ran, right?, yep.... I also went thru two sets of tires last year and then the frame cracked, so, that was the end of my nightmare trying to tune with those soft sidewall tires, and since I sold all the good parts to upgrade, I am not looking back, moving forward as this engine of mine may see 200 ponies of No2 as I am targeting 8.90 for an et with the elky to make me one of the fastest if not THE fastest in my O/C class for this year, maybe next, but when it comes out, I am gunnin for the top spot in my class. That has always been my plan with this Elky, since the chassis is certified to 8.50 thru NHRA, and my class cutoff in O/C is 8.80, I thought 8.90 would be the perfect et, but, on the other hand, I always wanted an 8.50 car, but that will take more engine for sure, like a 525, or a 555, or a 565 cuin engine with better heads and intake, then see where she runs in et, but for now, I need to get the backhalf done, and go race this GTO first and make some cash and show it off for the owner. Ok, my fingers are bleeding from all this typeing, your turn again =;

John

ps, I will be having some axles and a spool to sell if anyone needs a set, and maybe a 4.56 gearset also all from my 12 bolt. ;-) I will add that to the other section later though.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:10 am 

Well that explains it. =; Personal opinion is go with the 35's and forget about it. Maybe shotgun drilled? :-k One less headache. I guess if you want to go faster and harder it is best to upgrade. =; It should be a good time in BG we will have some games and stuff. I know I'm going to catch it for this but :- [-o< we are bringing the corn hole boards and bags. I just hope the weather is good. Since they moved it to May it has rained at least once during the weekend. [-( [-(

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:02 am 

Don't say that 4 letter word again!!!!! [-X #-o I also have heard the same and cancelled a race there in 2007 just because of it. I sure hope it is a nice weekend, we will hopefully have our new(to us) Honda Foreman 4 wheeler there to try out and see how it works. Of course, it is Yellow & Black ;-)

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 am 

I have not seen them cancel a race there yet(knock on wood). The track crew is very good, even with out a jet blower. You will have a good time with the 4 wheeler.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes