Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: powerglide band?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 pm 

I had a problem with the tranny in a short time last year.(about 30 passes) I know there are a couple people here that if I recall do ther own tranny work. But anyways last year I put this glide together with a friend at work. He worked in a tranny shop years ago. But I reused what looked like a stock replacement band. The other clutches were new.

My car would leave with low 1.30 60' times. The front end stayed low. The slip up high seemed questionable.

Here is what was in the pan this year.

The tranny never got hot. One time it got up to 210* but I didn't think that was to bad. The band was chipped up or flaked away. The drum was scoured. On my last pass I sprayed about an extra 100hp more then my other passes. The brake held at the line. But the motor just about free revved when I let go of the button. This was leaving with no delay and a set of .028 jets. After the motor reved I shifted to second imediately and the car left.

After that pass the band adjustment bolt was backed out so far I couldn't shift into park. The threads in the case looked okay. Other then a litle porusity( couple of small holes ). Should I reuse the case or replace it. I just don't know if the bolt slowly backed out or if it got pushed out on the last pass. What are your thoughts.

I just ordered a kevlar band. Am I better off with a kevlar or alto band?

I had 5 clutches in reverse and 6 in the direct drum. After the ter down I found some steels in the direct drum with hot spots. I'm now going with 8 thin clutches.

Post subject: Re: powerglide band?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:28 am 

If the threads aren't stripped your case will be fine, I would say the loose bolt caused the band to slip. The correct adjustment on the band is torque to 72 inch pounds the back out 3.5 turns, kevlar bands are good. Do you have a dual ring servo piston? As for the high clutches being burned, are you sure your front pump isn't worn?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:49 am 

It was a new race prepped coan pump. I have the dual ring servo. I guess it is possible that the adjustment bolt slowly backed out. But I just found it strange that my sixty foot times didn't slow down over a couple passes. I went 1.32 the pass before and the last pass it was like I had no first as soon as the transbreak was released.

Thanks

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:53 pm 

How many passes on the transmission now? Do you have a pressure guage or did you check your pressure before this happened?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 pm 

I only had about 30 passes on it. I never checked the pressure and it did not have a reverse pressure test port. I'm drilling that one this time. I plan on checking the pressure before the first pass.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm 

In my opinion I think you need to inspect the pump carefully and also maybe change the pressure regulator spring in the valve body. They seem to loose tension after several years. May not be a problem with yours but its a cheap fix and easy to change.

Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 pm 

thanks. I wonder about the springs different places use in there trans breaks? I have a new coan spring (I'll have to check what rating it was) but I didn't know if anything would be different using it in a TCI brake.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes