Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Burnout box proceedures
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:37 am 

Hey guys,

I'll have my dragster out here in about two weeks from now, which I'm totally excited about, but there are some things that I'm gonna need some help with. I've never driven a dragster before, so this will be a huge learning experience for me. I've seen so many before, and tried to watch them carefully as they do their burnout, so I can have some idea of what I should be doing so I don't look like a fool when I first drive the car. My problem is this though: I know that most dragsters do their burnout's in high gear, and that pretty much all of them have powerglides in them. Mine has a TH400. Burnouts in a door car with a line lock is no issue for me, but I'm not really sure how to approach this in a dragster. Should I still be doing high gear burnouts? Or would it be better to do 2nd gear? I know first is too deep to get any real tire speed, and there really won't be any time to shift. Any suggestions you guys could make sure would help!!!

Thanks!
Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:22 pm 

Although I have no experience with a turbo in a dragster, i would think you still only need high for the burnout in order to get the wheel speed up quick. I've also learned to hold the brake pedal and get the rpm to about 3000 before starting the burnout, this makes for a shorter burnout.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 pm 

Ask Hammertime about it, he has some experience with them diggers ;-)

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 pm 

I think we all have our different ways of doing a burnout. But the way we do it is that she rolls out of the water box then she plants it to the floor it shifts at the rpm I have set it for, then when she feels it start to bits she lets up. usley a real short burnout. We run a 33/16/15 slick with 5lb of air in them. It has allways work for us. Hope this helps...

KRAZYKEN \:D/

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 pm 

generally you want ot be out of the throttle before it bites, loads up the transmission which isn't good for it. If its your first time in a dragster, talk to somebody about the top end, ie chute and braking. A hardtail and only rear brakes takes some getting used to and can catch you out.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:32 pm 

Thanks guys for the info! I'll definately talk to several people about driving the car, as I've also got to get my comp licence before I can race. Some seat time is in order for sure. Bandimere told me I can run without a licence as long as I don't exceed 9.99 seconds or 135 mph. I guess it will be 1/8th mile blasts until my licence gets signed off, which might not be a bad thing since that's the part I think I will have the most trouble with at first................

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes