Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm 

Since I am just about to become as dumb as many of you are by wanting and haveing the need for more speed, and, quicker et's, then kicking your selves later saying(I should have kept that engine/car/carsetup), what ever, but now that someday soon I will jump into this catogory of no return with a backhalf job, here is my question for yuall. =; and no punn intended on the above comment either :-$

When, I go to install the crossmember, two main rails(3 x 2") and forward 4 link bar brackets, and get the axle housing in, all with the ride heigth I want, how should I set the lower bars up from the getgo, and which holes?, start from the bottom, go up a hole to start??? Start out with them level, then adj. from there, or, give them a down angle from the start? I figured, since I will keep my Elky for some time to come, I wanted to know which way I should, or could start out building this 4 link lower bar from day one! :-k :-k :-k

And what exactly determines where the front link brackets go in relation to verticle dimensions, will the 4 link bars and wheelbase, and ride heigth dictate all this??? Just some questions for me to chew on for a while before it goes under the knife. I think we, or the welder, or the builder can really weld the brackets on where ever he feels is the right location, but I want it right, and since this is NOT a kit backhalf, I am just looking for that info that falls between the cracks for the average racer like me getting this type of job done. Thanks guys for any replys in advance. =; =;

OK, SCRAP THIS DUMP POST OF MINE, AND CAN A MODERATOR PLEASE MAKE THIS ONE GO AWAY FOR ME PLEASE :-s THANKS.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 am 

You need some 4link software. There's a free spreadsheet on Page 13 of my site. Read, also, the other pages related to weight transfer. You're going to want a little more than 100% antisquat. Contrary to what some may tell you (including the supplier), the lower bars do not need to be horizontal.
http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope
over 130,000 visitors

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm 

Thanks Billy, I am all over your pages reading, scratching my head, reading some more and scratching even more :- :- :- good stuff though, and I'm getting there more everytime I read this info. Thanks again.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:48 pm 

With the car at ride height I would set it up with the bottom bar in the bottom housing hole, and up one hole from the bottom on the chassis bracket to give future adjustment. Chassis bracket height set so your bar is in a 3° down angle in those holes. If your brackets are 5/8" holes on 3/4" centers each hole is about 1°

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:02 pm 

Scott Smith wrote:
With the car at ride height I would set it up with the bottom bar in the bottom housing hole, and up one hole from the bottom on the chassis bracket to give future adjustment. Chassis bracket height set so your bar is in a 3° down angle in those holes. If your brackets are 5/8" holes on 3/4" centers each hole is about 1°

Thanks Scott, this sounds like a good starting point for my long chassis. I saw you on Pass Time again this past week, and that Camaro really rips \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes