Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

I do think I'd use a steel tub instead of aluminum.  Steel can be tack welded to the chassis making them much stronger than the aluminum ones.  I've got steel in the Studebaker and also in the Camaro.  What little weight you save is of little concern when the rocks and s**t start hammering them on the return road and down into the pits.

Oh yeah, and put BIG ones in while you're doing it.  

RE: your chassis guy doing them?  Hummm, if you're concerned about the cost now, wait until you show up with your own parts for him to install!!  It might even cost you more in the long run!!!  If he won't give you a price on doing them then I'd be concerned about the cost to install'em too. O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:27 pm 

Bubstr wrote:
Why not a aluminum tonto cover and get all the room you can to work on it

Bubstr,
 Funny you mentioned this, because I already have a two piece tin cover on my elky already, so when I redo the bars coming back out the window, I will have to redo the tin as well :-  :-  :-  more work of course, and thanks for your reply.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:34 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I do think I'd use a steel tub instead of aluminum.  Steel can be tack welded to the chassis making them much stronger than the aluminum ones.  I've got steel in the Studebaker and also in the Camaro.  What little weight you save is of little concern when the rocks and s**t start hammering them on the return road and down into the pits.

Oh yeah, and put BIG ones in while you're doing it.  

RE: your chassis guy doing them?  Hummm, if you're concerned about the cost now, wait until you show up with your own parts for him to install!!  It might even cost you more in the long run!!!  If he won't give you a price on doing them then I'd be concerned about the cost to install'em too. O:)

He's a cool cat Ken, and I know he won't rip me off, my thinking was to help cut some cost a little by having all the parts proir, and we do chat a lot about what I should buy, and why, heck, he wants to do a round tube backhalf???? O:)  O:)  I can't even imagine what that will cost!!! :-({|=  but he will do a geat job as his name goes with it, and he has done work on this Elky before so he know's what I am looking for.  Steel tubs were what I was going to buy anyway, so if he can match the store priceing, I am all over him to do it =;   He does some very nice work, and works with me on the payment schedule also which is a hugh plus =D>  =D>

One question I have for him, and maybe some of you might know, is there much of a weight difference from a round tube backhalf to a 2 x 3" frame rail type?????  I am also thinking since it is a big and heavy chassis, that the 2 x 3" would just be the better choice from the go??? :-k
Your guys's thoughts on that?????  Remember, this is a heavy nosed chassis!!!! :-k

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post subject: reply
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:35 pm 

Beretta wrote:
John if you need some picutres of the inside of my tubs O:) I have the tires off right now so I could do that for you tomorrow =;

Bring it on buddy, I need all the help I can get ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 pm 

Tanner wrote:
http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1437859/1967-El-Camino-Chevelle-Drag-race-Prostreet.html

This ad has some good photos of a guy's bed and tub area.  Odd that he left the center section open air, though.  May give you some ideas anyway.

Hey thanks Tanner, and it is odd he would do this, and in his ad it says disc brakes, in the rear???? looks like a backing plate to me O:)  maybe he means the front brakes???  It looks to me though he wanted to just keep it a street theme instead of drag race, all that air, but heck, it has a place to go from under the chassis :-k  :-k  :-k   I would prefer to have upper bars comeing down from my main hoop also to the rear frame area, then have supporting tubes off of them, and add two more bars coming out like his two lower bars do thru the front of the bed header.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes