Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Re: Converter ??
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:35 am 

gdmii wrote:
Beretta wrote:
I did use one till it had over 350 passes on it and the sprag exploded so since then I try to get them serviced every 250 to 300 passes

OK I haven't trolled in a while...mine doesn't have a sprag so it can't explode. =;

George

Gerorge is correct  spragless is the way to go IMO  less chance of it breaking on ya.  If ya took out one sprag ya usually go spragless next go around just to avoid the hassel.  =;

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 am 

George,
Just think how fast you would be with a Sprag.  :-$
Are you ok with my less cubic inch mouse motor in heavier trim on gas out running you?   =;  =;

I have never hurt a sprag since I knew what one was about 15 years ago.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 am 

After I puked the first one the tech guy at TCI  asked me how do you do a burn out O:) ...When I told him he said that"s why it blew up O:)  O:) ..So then I had to change. He also told me if I went spragless that I could do the burn outs the same way but your car will et and mph less but it will not hurt the converter any more but will create more heat in the trans....

George You may pick up another 10th if you get ride of that converter and ringless input shaft =;  =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:31 am 

I just broke a PTC after 4 years haven't checked how many runs was on it .
it was a spragless converter 5800 borrowed a friends BTE soft hit i like that thing it works great although it is to loose for my car i just placed a order for one for my car and went with the soft hit .

The sragless slowed my car down a little but i did get four years out of it this time .

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:04 pm 

Ron you don't want a soft hit.  =;

That's what I would tell ya if you raced with me.  =;  =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
George,
Just think how fast you would be with a Sprag.  :-$
Are you ok with my less cubic inch mouse motor in heavier trim on gas out running you?   =;  =;

I have never hurt a sprag since I knew what one was about 15 years ago.

Yeah Scott, I'm OK with that...for now.  =;  Remember that I took the year off so your R&D department is a year ahead of mine.  :-({|=   I gotta say though that you got that thing hummin.  Good job!  

Just keep in mind that my setup isn't supposed to work as espoused by the "experts"...running alky with an electric fuel pump from a rear mounted tank.

And I have only broken one sprag but I won't break another one.

Beretta wrote:
George You may pick up another 10th if you get ride of that converter and ringless input shaft

Barry, the converter will stay but the ringless input shaft is definately gonna go.  I already have the replacement.  But I think I have to change the front bushing or something of the sort.  It's been so long since I had my head into racing that I can't remember right off hand but I'll get it straight before I go back out.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:12 pm 

Beretta wrote:
After I puked the first one the tech guy at TCI  asked me how do you do a burn out O:) ...When I told him he said that"s why it blew up O:)  O:) ..So then I had to change. He also told me if I went spragless that I could do the burn outs the same way but your car will et and mph less but it will not hurt the converter any more but will create more heat in the trans....

George You may pick up another 10th if you get ride of that converter and ringless input shaft =;  =;

The sprag vs spragless has been a on going argument between companies for years now. My TSI will out mph any sprag converter I've put in there by 3-4mph, 60ft is softer but runs big mph and same et.

There was actually a few national dragster ad's a few months back that were going back at each on sprag vs spragless  ATI and TSI  were the companies.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 pm 

Yep, I read them and ATI say's they don't know of any cars in Super stock or Stock running a spragless converter O:)  O:) ...

Honestly I would try one but don't want to spent the $$ and be disappointed
from what others have said about them...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Spragless was NOT recommended for my combination!  I was told that it would slow me down and that any car would be faster WITH the sprag than without.  Only down side is that there is a limit as to how much power you can put thru one and have it live.  Fortunately I'm not making enough to hurt one!   ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm 

Maybe it's a Pig block thing Ken.  =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ken0069 wrote:
Spragless was NOT recommended for my combination!  I was told that it would slow me down and that any car would be faster WITH the sprag than without.

And for every guy who tells you that I can find one who says just the opposite.  So we're right back where we started from.

All kidding aside, it's a matter of budget for me.  I don't want to have to send a converter in everytime I screw up a burnout.  My screw-ups cost me enough the way it is. =;  =;

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:22 pm 

Here is what I take from the two, you can optimize any spragless converter, put a sprag or diode in it, it will always run as fast or faster in the 1/4 and not hurt the performance anywhere  in the run until it slips or breaks. The sprag is locked until the pump and turbine approach equal speeds, at which time it unlocks and freewheels with the rest. The big advantage of a spragless is it will never slip or break unless using a cheap aluminum stator, it could break where the center meets the aluminum. My TS 8" had a diode in it, changed to a spragless center and lost .10 and 2-3 MPH. If you are mostly 1/8 mile racing, there is really no reason to run a sprag. The stator is usually locked at least to that point anyway.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes