Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Powerglide Upgrades
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:53 am 

I am planning on doing a few upgrades to my glide, they are these..
Kevlar Band... Right now I run a stock one..(from the core orginal stock)
A Dual Ring Servo  still running a Stock one..
A Rollerized Governor Support..this one I have a question about..
is it worth the expense? It is only $63 but will it actually help anything?
I know it says it reduces friction and I believe that but is it worth anything?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:37 am 

Jody, I run a Kevlar band in mine and never had any problems at all and still have the same one in my  trans... The duel ring servo should have been done a long time ago   O:) and use Teflon sealing rings..I have a roller bearing support in both of my trans and it will be less friction but I would think it will hold the output shaft better than a bushing...I would also get the HD band adjustment screw...As I had bent one and it makesw it a real problem to adj and get it out O:) ...

http://www.tsr-racing.com/shop/powergli ... y+Hardware

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I ran one kevlar band and it wore out and I haven't used one since!  I still run the "stockers" (never have worn out one of those) and will until something proves that to be a bad decision.  

If you use anything but the aluminum rings on that dual ring servo, just make damn sure you don't cut them going past the feed hole where it mounts in the case.  The early dual ring servos with the "O" rings were really bad about this and I could see the tefflon ones possibly doing the same.  

Yup, the roller rear support and extension housing are a good update for not too many $$.  Not sure how much they help but it's for damn sure they can't hurt anything.  

Another relatively inexpensive upgrade is the 8 friction high gear clutch pack.  You will likely have to have the apply piston machined a bit to get the clearance right but once you do that, from then on it's just a matter of replacing worn parts during a freshen up.  I've got that clutch pack in my Camaro tranny and it's now got 3 seasons of use on it with only .001 of wear on the frictions.

And don't forget the deep aluminum pan.  That does two things.  It adds more fluid to the system and it also helps support the case, ie, makes it stronger due to it's mass.  And remember, our buddy Ron Owens is now a BTE stocking dealer and has good prices on the stuff so support our member vendors when you can!!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 pm 

I am not sure what comes with the dual ring servo normally, will be careful there. My buddy that has the dragster usually gets my trans parts for me he is also a BTE dealer, that is kinda how we met..
I got the trans out today and every clutch you can still read the writing on and there was really nothing in the pan..usually it has some grey stuff in the bottom, but this time nothing there. Cool!

Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:50 am 

you'll normally see that little grey film in the servo bore as well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 am 

PSweeney wrote:
you'll normally see that little grey film in the servo bore as well.

Very clean there too! I guess maybe that Hydraulic oil is doing it's job!
I remember the guy at the shop I picked it up he said "That's not for an automatic trans- it's for tractor's, I'll sell it to you buy I wouldn't run it in any automatic transmission" So I will be stopping down there today. ;-)
I bought this stuff called AW32 it is in a blue 1 gallon jug for $7.50  O:)

Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:57 am 

well when you look at it, all an auto box is, is a hydraulic pump to apply different stages off drive, with a fluid coupling for torque multiplication.

So in a tranny, fluid is essentially a hydraulic fluid but has to cope with the heat generated in the convertor/  box and still be able to lubricate the internals.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:58 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
If you use anything but the aluminum rings on that dual ring servo, just make damn sure you don't cut them going past the feed hole where it mounts in the case.  The early dual ring servos with the "O" rings were really bad about this and I could see the tefflon ones possibly doing the same.

So Ken you use the aluminum rings on your servo??? The teflon rings (from what TSR tells me) will seal better if your using a stock case as it deflects and the the aluminum rings will bind or wont seal as good as the teflon...

I also see some company's are now using rubber o-rings  O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Barry, I use two aluminum rings on mine and have for quite some time.  The first dual ring servo I bought had O rings and was a bitch to get past that hole in the case without cutting them.  After fighting with it several times I just machined a new servo myself and made it so I could put two aluminum rings in it.  

Leak?  Yeah, it probably does as do the rings on your pistons and everything else that uses this type of sealing device.  I guess it has something to do with how much of a leak rate it has, hey.  Oh, I've never worn out a stocker low band nor have I ever seen any evidence of heat from slippage on the high drum so it must hold good enough to make that work.  And, I'm seeing 250psig of transmission line pressure down track with this new valve body and if it is leaking then it's not showing up there.  Remember, there is pressure on the apply side of that servo in all forward gears.

My theory is, you can nickle and dime anything to death if you try hard enough.  If mine ain't broke, then I'm not going to try to fix it. ;-)  Your mileage may vary.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject: KRAZY55KEN
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:37 pm 

Ken I allway take a fine feeler guage and put over that hole will sliding it into place.. allways work for me   krazyken

Post subject: Re: KRAZY55KEN
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

krazy55ken wrote:
Ken I allway take a fine feeler guage and put over that hole will sliding it into place.. allways work for me   krazyken

Yeah that is what I did also but sometimes when you're putting that thing together it wanted to move back and catch that last O ring.  The aluminum rings work fine for me and have for a long time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm 

Probably too late to comment but Alto now makes a longer case bushing that supports the tail shaft better than the stock one.  I've been running the prototype for three years and other than a better more stable fit I have not had any problems.  Most tailshafts are not made for roller bearings and if you run them you can feel a groove in the shaft after a normal season.  I run one but as far as an advantage I really can't say its better.  I now can't go back to the bushing because of the wear on the shaft.  I think that with the right lubrication a bushing is just as good and because most people inspect their transmissions pretty often they catch problems before they happen.  

Coy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 pm 

So are you just talking about the tailshaft bearing?
I am not sure what you mean by "longer case bushing that supports the tail shaft better than the stock one" Or are you meaning the Govener support?  I still run a stock tailshaft, stock bushing..

Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am 

It's the one in the back of the case.  It's about 1/4 in. longer than the stock case bushing.  It makes the tailshaft more stable in the case.  If your old case bushing has spun or fits a little loose this longer bushing will save your old case because it is longer.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Admin

I run one of those aluminum governor supports with the roller bearings in it.  It's been in this tranny for three years now with two different planetaries and neither of them showed any wear from it?  I also run a roller tailshaft housing with a "regular" dirveshaft yoke (not hardened) and there is no evidence of wear (measured) on that either?  

Do ya think you might have an alignment problem there Coy? :-k

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes