Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: altered brakes
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 am 

From the Aftermarket Brakes by us7race post:
Quote:
Do some brakes drag and others not? Seems like I remember reading this somewhere..

This brings up a question I have but I didnt want to hijack that post. My Fiat altered has 4 wheel Wilwood brakes and they drag terribly. In my opinion there is entirely too much rolling resistance from the brakes. Is there anyhing I can do to help or eliminate this problem?
Dennis

Post subject: inspection time
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 am 

Dennis,

I'll take a stab at this to try to help out.  How old is the fluid? have you bled your brakes with new fluid lately? what does the fluid look like?  have you ever rebuilt or replaced any calipers? used different pads other than what came in the Wilwood kit or they suggested?  are your rotor's drilled and if so, is there rust in the holes?  are the rotors grooved like a metal to metal surface on any of the sides?
Do you have a residual valve? and these valves (correct me if I'm wrong)
are to be used if the master cyl. is below the pedals and calipars to hold some (residual pressure) when the brakes are released because the master cyl. is NOT above causing some gravity pressure.  

You need to look at every part of your brake system to possibly find something.  Hope this helps ;-)

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 am 

There's some good stuff to check from John...I would say if those calipers have not been rebuilt and there 5 + yrs old it's time =;  =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll give the entire system a thorough going over and rebuild.
Dennis

Post subject: reply
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:10 pm 

Dennis,

If you find nothing wrong, than you can always add 3 more parachutes to your back end =;  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  :-  [-( [-(  [-(   I love thes little guys =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm 

I have the opposite problem with mine. It has only rear brakes and doesn't seem to stop so well. Our track has a ton of shut down so it hasn't been a real problem, just makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm going to check things over while were down this winter,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 pm 

'32 Bantam wrote:
I have the opposite problem with mine. It has only rear brakes and doesn't seem to stop so well. Our track has a ton of shut down so it hasn't been a real problem, just makes me a little uncomfortable. I'm going to check things over while were down this winter,

Make sure the pads are wearing even, what brake setup do you have and which pads ?  I have buddies who throw the laundry on cars with less mph then me, I make the first turn off at most tracks if need be @177mph. Wilwood brakes and DR97 Brake Pads.  I talked a few buddies into switching over to the Hawk Pads they now have great stopping power and dont wear pads 3 times a year.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

My Camaro has Wilwoods all around and I've been running it for 3 seasons and I've still got plenty of brake pads left.  No brake drag that I can define and they do a good job of stopping it on short shut down tracks too.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:37 am 

Dennis,  I have the same front brake set up as you, I would almost bet the drag is caused by the slide pins. The Wilwood bracket is only aluminium and can flex a lot meaning the slide pins don't remain sqare. The disc forces the piston back but it'll still drag slightly if the pins are binding. I'd guess the soloution would be to have a pair of brackets laser cut from steel, then tap the mounting holes out to 3/8UNC for the pins. If you look at the Strange or MW set ups used on most funnies, theres a separate bracket  that goes on the inboard side of the slide pins to stiffen and square it all up.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 am 

thinking about this more, it's maybe not the bracket material, more so the design. The pins locate on to ears. If they had more material either side, ie a wider bracket it think it would help.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes