Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Here We Go Again!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I got good news and bad news.  Good news is that the car came home in one piece.  Bad news is that there is a bad vibration down track that I didn't have before this last "incident"!  

So, there are a couple of things that "may" be  wrong.

Flat spot on the tires?  Possibility as the black marks are still there from three weeks ago.  Will check those a little closer next week.

Drive shaft bent?  This may be it because it feels like it.  It's not engine/converter related because I went to neutral at the stripe and even though engine RPM dropped down the vibration was still there.  

So, once I get the car up on jack stands I'll be able to look at both of these items to see if they are the problem.

Man, I really can hork up some stuff, can't I?  Geez! :-({|=

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:25 pm 

Hey Ken,

It may not be a bad idea to have the driveshaft balanced if you do not find something obvious,I'm sure that you know that it would not take much misalignment to cause a "troubling" vibration.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:33 pm 

I bet the shaft is twisted a touch O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:02 am 

was hoping not again,

Tires or Driveshaft would be a good safe bet for sure.  Maybe your luck is changing a a few weights just fell off rims  :-k  

Driveshaft would be best bet,  I did have a car that had a vibration once, looked at several things ended up being rear gears.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Jeff the driveshaft was balanced when it was built.  

The only things that were changed were the converter and the planetary.  Since the converter runs at engine speed and the vibration was still there when the engine wasn't up in RPM that takes that out of the picture.

With that much of a jolt though, (the reverse thingie) it is possible that one of those weights could have come off the driveshaft.  Pit Bitch took that out and put it back so I never did look at it.  I guess I'll also need look to see if any those weights are missing when I get the car up on the stands next week.

Yeah David I was thinking that it might have thrown a weight or two off as well.  I'll check the balance on the tires too while I'm at it but to be honest, it seems like a high frequency vibration, like driveshaft speed type to me.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:52 am 
Site Admin

My vote would go to the U-joint(s).  I'm really surprized you didn't snap one of them.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:55 pm 

Ken, How tight does Pit Bitch pull down on those u-bolts O:) ...Too much torque on them and it will pinch the cup and cause binding...But Im sure he has done it quiet a few times....Just thinking :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:21 pm 

IF THE CAR JERKED THAT HARD IT COULD HAVE BENT THE CROSS SHAFT ON THE U-JOINT VERY EASILY---I WOULD BE TAKING IT APART AND CHECKING THIS DRIVESHAFT CLOSE [-(  [-(  [-( ALSO CHECK THE SPLINES INSIDE THE TRANS END ALSO :-k  :-k

LIVELY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 pm 

Hey Ken,

I'm sure that your driveshaft was balanced when it was built but what I was trying to say is that if you don't see a problem with the shaft or joints then I would have it balanced just to make sure,I had a shaft that had a small dent in it in a chevelle that I bought and that thing would shake the dash at highway speed,I couldn't believe that small dent made that much vibration but I had it balanced and all was fine......just a thought.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 pm 

hi Ken

i think you like the excitement of getting into an emergency situation  [-X at the end of the track  =;  

i would start by checking the Rear Tyres & work my way foward up to the trans

dont forget the check the Heim Joints as you may have bent the threaded end were it goes into the 4 link bars causing the rear to be out of alignment

as has already been said dont forget the cross in the uni's you will need to pull the shaft to check them as it may only be a slight twist & you will never see it with the shaft in the car

whilist you have the shaft out check were the caps fit into the shaft as the holes may have elongated with the twist

good luck with your search

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
But Im sure he has done it quiet a few times....Just thinking :-k

Yeah Barry, he's done it so many times I'll bet he could do it blind folded.  Remember, this rear end has been down three times in the last year and a half and he's pulled it down every time. ;-) He's a good Pit Bitch and he loves to get dirty more than any human I've ever known. \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I think I found the problem.  The rear yoke on the driveshaft has a bunch of play in it??  Like it got stretched or something as the cup inside it is like way loose.  The center of the shaft has about .070 runout also so I guess it's going to be a new driveshaft for the Camaro before it goes out again.  Good thing the end of the season is here, hey!  I guess I need to sell something now.   =;

Post subject: bad vibes
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm 

sounds like you found it!  maybe if youve been real good , oh well we can always hope.  call me  I might ride up when you go.

R&R Cycle, Performance Parts and Service
for Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have a part number for a 1350 Spicer U joint without a grease fitting hole?  Seems the idiots at the local parts places can't cross over the Spicer number to anything they have on the shelf?  I think these things came in Dodge 1 ton trucks but those will have the grease fitting holes in'em, which I don't want.  

Bubba, I'll call Roanoke Spring Works tomorrow and get them to weld up a new one then go pick it up when it's finished.  I'll be in touch when that happens and maybe we can have a beer or twelve on the trip. ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:13 pm 

Whos part # are you looking for?  I just get the spicer u joints for Catco locally.  Spicer # 5-799x Which is what corvette used on steel half shafts, if I recall.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes