Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Tire wear ?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 pm 

Ok guys.  I took a set of slicks off last year and replaced them for this season.  Both sets are wearing much worse on the inside only.  I thought at first a tire pressure issue but it is only on the inside of the slicks.  any ideas of what is causing this? I run a ladder bar set up and the car goes straight and this year has been the most consistent year I have had.  Tires are MT stiff sidewall.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:02 pm 

The tires on my Vega did that also so I just pulled them off the rims and fliped them over and put them on the other side O:) .. I did that about every
25 runs and always got over a hundred runs out of them \:D/  \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:16 pm 

I would think the housing would have to be bent.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:

Or warped from welding the ladder bar mounts on?

Have you checked the rear toe in?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
gearhead1011 wrote:

Or warped from welding the ladder bar mounts on?

Have you checked the rear toe in?

Last time i checked my rear toe in, their was a boot attached to it, problem solved.. =;

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:59 pm 

if you have a spool it will drag the tires while turning--thus you will get wear on the inside edges from the dragging motion-my steet tires did that before i went to a posi unit [-X  [-X

LIVELY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 pm 

I was thinking somehow the housing must be bent but would this cause bearing failure or at least ruin seals??  I do have a spool.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

radracing wrote:
I was thinking somehow the housing must be bent but would this cause bearing failure or at least ruin seals??  I do have a spool.

Ya have to understand that 1) this is not a daily driver that would see enough driving to screw up a bearing that is out of alignment and 2) there is some room for variations in these things so it could be off a pretty good amount and not hork up something immediately.

You and a friend can check the rear toein yourself with a tape measure.  Jack the rear of the car up and put it on jack stands.  Then cut a piece of wire out of a cloths hanger and make a point on one end of it.  Then clamp that pointed wire to a jack stand or other suitable heavy object.  Then place the pointed wire against the tire slightly below center.  After that, rotate the tire so that the wire makes a mark all the way around the outside tread of the tire.  Do this on both tires so that you have a mark all the way around both tires.  It doesn’t matter whether it’s in dead center or not cuz this is just a reference mark you will use to check toein.  Have a friend hold the end of the tape measure on the 10 inch line on the front side of the tire and line that up with the line you just made on the OD of the tire.  Then measure across and parallel to the floor to the other side and write down what you have.  Repeat this on the opposite side of the tire and once you have two dimensions, subtract the front side from the rear side and see what you come up with.  If it’s toed in then the front side will be shorter and if the front side is longer then it’s toed out.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm 

Thanks Ken

If it is toed in or out is there an easy way to fix it.  sorry for more questions but I honestly struggle with chassis type things.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Rad there isn't much you can do with it other than heat and rapid cool it to try to draw the long side.  You might want to do as Barry suggested and just turn the tires around a couple of times a year to wear them more evenly.  

Best to check it though before you get all frustrated and then find out that might not be the problem!  ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm 

I had a bent axle tube once and had a guy cut the flange off and reweld it
back on using a fixture. the axles slid right in as before on one side  I had to pry it back in O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:41 pm 

Thats what I was thinking but didn't want to miss anything simple since I don't know much about ladder bar set ups.  

maybe I could just buy even offset wheels and just rotate the wheels and not have to break the tires down...lol just kidding.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

radracing wrote:

maybe I could just buy even offset wheels and just rotate the wheels and not have to break the tires down...lol just kidding.

O:)  O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:05 pm 

If the housing is bent then it could not only  affect the toe but it may have some negative camber in it too. You can have the housing straightened but it would require removing it and stripping it down to a bare housing. Republic Diesel in Louisville does that kind of stuff around here. I don't know if there is a place like that where you are. http://www.republicdiesel.com/ A chassis shop may be able to straighten it for you too. I have done some.  I use a beam and a short ram on a port-a-power that was originally used for bending I-beams on the old Ford trucks to align them. I have a shaft and adapters I use for narrowing housings that I set it up with then push on the housing until I get it where the adapters line up. If that housing isn't braced you may want to do that while it's apart.

What kind of rear end are you using?

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:27 pm 

Buddy has a bent housing in his camaro...I noticed it smokin abit on top  in the 1/8 and wondered why....We jacked it up and sure enough wheel was camber in and could tell it was bent...Like ken said use a tape and measure..or you could take it to an alignment shop and have them check it...If you where close I do it for ya for free..... =;  ...
P.S his was a narrowd 9 inch rear ...and I had recommended to weld a cross brace on it to begin with..  ](*,)  ...

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes