Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: DEJA VU
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

TODAY IN FIRST ROUND THE TRANSMISSION WENT IN REVERSE AGAIN AT THE FINISH LINE!  O:)  O:)  O:)  ONLY THIS TIME I'M ABSOLUTELY SURE I DID NOT PULL THE REVERSE LOCK OUT LEVER TO MAKE IT GO IN!   ](*,)  ](*,)  AND NOW I'M NOT SURE I DID LAST TIME EITHER!

THAT MEANS THAT THERE'S SOMETHING HORKED UP SOMEWHERE AND THERE WILL BE NO MORE RACING UNTIL I FIND OUT WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!

One thing I did confirm today is that when the car got crossed up at Piedmont Dragway last year, it wasn't an accident that I drove it out of that one as today was worse than that one and the car came home in one piece!  THE FAST OLD FAT GUY CAN STILL DRIVE A CAR!  WITH A LOAD OF CRAP IN HIS PANTS TOO I MIGHT ADD! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: DEJA VU
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:28 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
TODAY IN FIRST ROUND THE TRANSMISSION WENT IN REVERSE AGAIN AT THE FINISH LINE!  O:)  O:)  O:)  ONLY THIS TIME I'M ABSOLUTELY SURE I DID NOT PULL THE REVERSE LOCK OUT LEVER TO MAKE IT GO IN!   ](*,)  ](*,)  AND NOW I'M NOT SURE I DID LAST TIME EITHER!

THAT MEANS THAT THERE'S SOMETHING HORKED UP SOMEWHERE AND THERE WILL BE NO MORE RACING UNTIL I FIND OUT WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!

One thing I did confirm today is that when the car got crossed up at Piedmont Dragway last year, it wasn't an accident that I drove it out of that one as today was worse than that one and the car came home in one piece!  THE FAST OLD FAT GUY CAN STILL DRIVE A CAR!  WITH A LOAD OF CRAP IN HIS PANTS TOO I MIGHT ADD! O:)

Ken,  glad you are ok !  could of been very scary  O:)

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Time for a pro tree brake.

That item was already in the works as part of the BTE buy in with Ron Owens and while I'm in there I think I'm going to go ahead and replace that stock 1:76 planetary with a 1:80 straight cut.  And I'm also thinking about sending the converter in for some tweaks as well.  And, if I don't find anything in the tranny that could have caused this, then there will be a new shifter going in the car as well.  That ought to take care of about $1700 worth of my freezer money, hey!

Hammertime wrote:
Ken,  glad you are ok !  could of been very scary

Thanks Hammer but there's no "could have been" to it.  It WAS scary as the car made a HARD RIGHT turn and I wound up in the right lane less than 10 yards from a real nice professionally built Lumina worth about $40K that had just passed me in the lights running 135 or so.  That gave new meaning to the term "merge right"!

If this would have happened with me in the right lane, the car would have turned into the wall and there wouldn't have been anything I could have done to stop that.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:11 am 

Glad to hear you're ok Ken!!  I hope you get it figured out and fixed!!!  Let us know what you find.

Mark

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:04 am 

Hey Ken ,glad to hear that you are ok and the car made it home in one piece. I had a thought ,could the shifter be out of adjustment enough that when you go into neutral that allows reverse to engage?I think I would check the shifter adjustment before I took it out of the car.

I'm sure you know what to look for but I would also go through the electrical circut for the trans-brake and make sure that there is not a problem there that is causing the brake to apply.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 am 

Happy to hear most importantly  the car is safe,  =D>  =D>  =D> ...Mainly becasue you are in it... =; ....anyway...

You did shift into neutral again and this happened? Sounds like the valve body is leaking internally.
What about checking the pressure in the tranny in second gear and then having a second gauge on the reverse piston and when you shift back to neutral see what happens.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 am 

This brings up another point. Why shift to neutral at the finish line? I would never do that and I don't think there is a good reason to do it on a typical bracket car. Let the engine help slow the car down and with no change being made to the shifter/transmission, nothing bad can happen on that end.
JMO

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:21 am 

Man that sucks Ken. I am glad you came out of it ok. I wonder how the linkage is inside the trans with the valve? Maybe it got loose>?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:27 am 

Wow ken hate to hear that.

Good deal on the transmission parts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:42 pm 

The odds of doing that twice without crashing would seem kinda slim to me.  Glad to hear you pulled that off.  Ummm, you know if that had a stick in it......

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
Ummm, you know if that had a stick in it......

Chuck that is where the neutral at the stripe comes from in the first place!  I got into that habit racing stick shift cars back in the 60s and never broke it.  I do like to take the deceleration off the engine though and I'll continue doing that as I have in the past.  That is the reason the car has 4 wheel disc brakes and a chute. ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 pm 

Ken

i know old habits are hard to break but this is one you must let go

i would like to know what happens if you leave the stick alone, does it still select reverse whan you get off the gas

as everybody knows the car is fine & the drives heart rate should be back to normal by now, how are the Pants ........... has the smell gone yet  :-#

glad to hear you are OK

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 pm 

Dang Ken!!!....Glad you and car came home in  piece!....Now thats some scary stuff right there....So.....had to change that Depends HUH..   =;   =;   =;  =;  =;  =;  =; .....

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

I got video of part of it showing me crossing the centerline sideways but Pit Bitch cut it off before I got it straightened out right behind the other guy.  My WIFI connection is horked up right now and they sent me a message stating they were doing upgrades to fix the problems on Tuesday and Wednesday of this coming week so I'll post the vid as soon as the connection will upload it.

I told Faye last night that I was considering going roundy round racing as I've see some of those guys loose one going slower than I was when they were driving a much better handling car!

Rod there are some mechanical changes in the works that will eliminate that problem in the future without me having to change my way of doing things.  It's hard for old dogs to lean new tricks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:46 pm 

Dang ken two times man you need to definitely change something there  Glad to hear you are OK and no wreck thank god .

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes