Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:43 pm 

My car has a really long strop on the chute and that allows it to open slowly, the digger is about 1/3 the length and it hits hard.. I'm a bit like Ken, I only use it once in a while (useually first run of the year when it feels fast.. after that it stays where it is, I do unpack it in the winter.. I also have washed it a couple of times, tie wrap the cords every foot or so to stop the tangles and when its comes out of the washer hang in a warm place for a few days to dry...

Lindsey has had several people believing that I dont let it out because she has to iron it every time.. I'm still amazed at how many people take it in.. =;  =;  =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:48 pm 

Sam wrote:
My car has a really long strop on the chute and that allows it to open slowly, the digger is about 1/3 the length and it hits hard.. I'm a bit like Ken, I only use it once in a while (useually first run of the year when it feels fast.. after that it stays where it is, I do unpack it in the winter.. I also have washed it a couple of times, tie wrap the cords every foot or so to stop the tangles and when its comes out of the washer hang in a warm place for a few days to dry...

Lindsey has had several people believing that I dont let it out because she has to iron it every time.. I'm still amazed at how many people take it in.. =;  =;  =;

LMAO. A friend of ours had his wife pack his. My dad told him "You better never make her mad. You'll pull the chute and it will come out in a big ball wrapped in duct tape".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:56 am 

Stroud chute hit softer as the bag straightens the lines before the chute deploys from the bag.

Make your shutdown procedure the same, ie go for the chute on every run even if you don't pull it, make it routine and when you need it, your hand will be on it without thinking. We all like to think we have cat like reactions for this stuff but I surprised myself when I nearly crashed my altered, as pulling the chute never even crossed my mind because it wasn't part of my shutdown procedure and wasn't easilly operated, ie, I had it on a T bar pulling away from the cage. Your chute should be a lever which you simply hit or pull to deploy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm 

I'm glad someone gave that example as that is part of the reason that I would like to have one,I have seen a couple of fast cars(140-150 mph in 1/8)get out of shape and pull the chute and like a miracle it snapped the car back straight again,like you said it would not be a bad routine to touch that handle every time a run is complete whether it is needed or not.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:27 am 

PSweeney wrote:

Make your shutdown procedure the same, ie go for the chute on every run even if you don't pull it, make it routine and when you need it, your hand will be on it without thinking. .

best explanation i have hear  =D>  =D>

enother bit of advise & you can take it anyway you like bit its best to wait untill the chute is in full bloom before you get on the brakes

i have my chute & mount all done on the back of my car & have used a Simpson but dont see anything wrong with any other brand, if i was going to use an air acctivated chute i would have used a Stroud

this brings back a lot of old memories as before i cam back to drag racing i was involved with a little bit of Sky Diving & also flew an Aero Chute

nothing like pulling a chute at 4000 feet   8-[

goodluck
regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:48 am 

yep lots of people recommend keeping your foot in until the chute hits.  Anyone going over 150mph should be pulling the chute IMO. I've spoken to the dragster guys in S/Pro who are doing 170 or so and they get the chute out on every run without fail despite having ample run off and the ability to brake.

Another thing for anybody running an altered, that I can't recommend enough is front brakes. They may only be little single caliper ones but they stop the car pivoting around on the front axle which causes the rear to lock and bounce, Obviously not so much of a problem in a rear engine dragster as the chassis take a lot of the flex and bounce.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes