Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Parachute
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 pm 

Hey guys,
  I am thinking of putting a parachute pack mount and anchor point on the car while I have it apart this winter....but I don't know how to find the center of gravity to attach the anchor point to,any help would be appreciated

Thanks,Jeff

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:06 pm 

if its low it will pick the back wheels up and if its too high then it make it real light on the front end but theres quite a spread where it will be ok.

Do you need a chute ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

CG is usually figured to be somewhere near the camshaft center line, or at least that is what Dave Morgan says.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 pm 

Hey guys,
      I have been told about the same thing as Sam said ....if you get it wrong you will know the first time you pull it O:)

I think the camshaft centerline sounds reasonable,I have a "doorslammers chassis book" but I can't find it.

Yes Sam I am in the market for a chute,my car is much heavier than yours so I don't know if one of yours will work,we could do the math and see

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:23 am 

I'd go for just below CG as far as height goes, mine is well below and has no bad effect mind you I only tend to use it the first full pass of the year to make sure it still works.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:28 am 
Site Admin

I've had 4 cars with a chute on'em and never had one out.  Hell, I don't even know how to pack one!  ;-)

Was on a chute makers site not too long ago and they say you should throw it out at least once every time you take the car out.  They claim they will rot from moisture if you don't air them out every so often.  I guess the last pass I make this year I'll throw the laundry out just to see what it feels like.  That way I'll have all winter to figure out how to get it packed again.  =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:57 am 

Learned in the last few weeks that Stroud chutes  hit softer when you pull them and are way easier to pack than a Simpson.
http://www.stroudsafety.com/Home.html \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:21 am 

Post subject: Nice job
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:28 am 

Scott,

Who ever did your chute mount, and setup, did an awesome job =D>  =D>  =D>  clean and to the point, so how does it work on your Camaro????  and that is a Shroud chute right????? what size did you get?

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 am 

Works awsome and it's the Super Gas Chute.
You do have to release it at about the MPH cone because it takes a while to hit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 am 

I have heard the same about the stroud hitting softer, and they are easy to pack. and Ken, get me a plane ticket, and I will help you repack your chute...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:46 pm 

Thanks for posting the pics Scott,that is alot of help,I was going to put  separate mounts for the pack and anchor points but yours is a cleaner install,and your anchor point is higher than I thought it would be....very helpful

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff the chute on my Camaro mounts about the same height as Scott's does, and that mount point is not far from the cam centerline either!  But then again, I've never had it out so I don't really know how it works!  O:)

Don, I'm sure Pit Bitch and I can figger it out.  I watched a guy repack one down at Roxboro a couple of weeks back so I got an idea of what I need to do.  But thanks anyway.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:18 pm 

inVEGArating wrote:
Thanks for posting the pics Scott,that is alot of help,I was going to put  separate mounts for the pack and anchor points but yours is a cleaner install,and your anchor point is higher than I thought it would be....very helpful

Thanks for the complements.

I spent a lot of time designing that all in one system. Mainly paying attention to every mount I could find and incorporating them together.

That whole chute and bracket will come off in about 5 min with two 3/4" wrenches.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:35 am 

"Was on a chute makers site not too long ago and they say you should throw it out at least once every time you take the car out.  They claim they will rot from moisture if you don't air them out every so often.  I guess the last pass I make this year I'll throw the laundry out just to see what it feels like.  That way I'll have all winter to figure out how to get it packed again"

I believe it was also Stroud that says you should not store the chute packed. It should spend its winter, etc. out of the pack.
I am going to replace my chute this winter. It is an old Chute Metal and most of it is ratty looking. But tech has never said anything about it. It will be a new Stroud for me. and I'll probably reengineer the chhute mount.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes