Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Actuall Steve it didn't do anything to me.  I guess the momentium of the rotating mass, etc took the shock.  I just heard the bang and crunch as the teeth came off the ring gear, and it got all of'em!  We unloaded the car with the tranny still in park.  =;

The data logger graph shows the drive shaft RPM going from like 6900 down to 1000 in less than a second.  It did come back up some as it was ripping the rest of the teeth off the pinion but dropped pretty quick after that.

Won't know if it broke the planetary until I can put a load on it.  We'll find out once the rear end is fixed.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:04 pm 

Mark mentioned using a transbrake that must be engaged in order to go into reverse. Delay box must be turned on also. I have a Hipster brake that requires me to push the button in order to use reverse. I have however accidentally hit the transbrake button on the return road and slammed to stop. Is there a way to wire it so I can prevent that problem?  I currently shut off the delay box in the shut down area.
I need to rewire this car anyway. Whoever did it last did not wire in a neutral safety switch.
Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 pm 

Glad nothing bad happen to you Ken.. Besides breaking parts!!

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:40 pm 

Glad to hear that all that you lost were mechanical pieces.  Scary feeling going into reverse throught the traps.  Tried it about 25 or so years ago in a glass bodied Topolino.

Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:53 am 

oldtimer wrote:
Mark mentioned using a transbrake that must be engaged in order to go into reverse. Delay box must be turned on also. I have a Hipster brake that requires me to push the button in order to use reverse. I have however accidentally hit the transbrake button on the return road and slammed to stop. Is there a way to wire it so I can prevent that problem?  I currently shut off the delay box in the shut down area.
I need to rewire this car anyway. Whoever did it last did not wire in a neutral safety switch.
Dennis

Just leave the trans in 2nd on return road O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:44 am 

Good advise Barry!!

Glad to hear you are ok Ken that could have been a whole lot worse than a rear gear....all can be fixed as long as we live to fight another day.

I have a B&M pro stick and I have tried to get it to go into reverse in the shop and it wont,it also takes two hands to get to reverse.

Worst case Ken I have a 1.76 factory gearset ,reverse ring and sun gear with little use laying in the cabinet in my shop if you need it #-o

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:13 pm 

OUCH #-o  #-o

I don't have an extra one of those laying in the shop,is that a strange?is the gear still usable?it looks as though it pulled the threads for the adjuster out of the case?sorry to see that Ken,I am guessing you are going to get in the tranny next?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tranny is cheap Jeff.  I've got a few of those 1:76 planetaries.

The housing broke away then the bold pulled up.  Either way it's junk now.  

The gear is not broken but not useable as there are nicks and gouges in it from where the housing broke.

I called Ron Owens and I've got a cast steel one coming to go with the new 5:14 ring and pinion he shipped to me today.  Prolly never would have bought the aluminum one to begin with for this door car.  They're just not strong enough for something this heavy.  I think they work well in a digger though.  Of course this one worked well until the loose nut behind the wheel decided to shift into reverse at the stripe!  So I can't blame the housing for my stupidity.  That Motive Gear held up well too as no teeth are broken off anywhere.  It will make a nice paper weight though.

Dunno if I will be able to get to the track Saturday now or not and if not, then it's going to be some time in November before I can go cuz the IHRA brackef finals are in Farmington the weekend of the 25th and none of the local tracks will be open until the weekend after that.  Bummer!  

This ought to set my racing money back a few bucks, hey!!! [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 pm 

That's why I went to one of these Ken.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Smith wrote:
That's why I went to one of these Ken.

And it still broke?  O:) You just mentioned not too long ago that you had sent it back cuz it broke and they hosed you and made you pay like $500 or so to fix it?  Nah, I'll take my chances with the one I ordered from Ron and still have way less money in it than you got in that piece.  As I said, it wasn't necessarily a fault with the part.  Nothing I know of is designed to handle s**t like that!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Don't forget the converter!!!

I'll test that and the tranny next time out!   ;-)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:48 pm 

No it didn't break Ken. It burned up the bearings.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Just looked at my log again from that run and G forces went to -1.91 when it went in reverse!  O:) I guess those tires bite pretty good down track, hey!  O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the bad news up close and personal!  This is a $400+ piece of scrap!  Which will probably wind up as tin foil somewhere down the road!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes