Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Aero Space Brakes Suck!
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:19 pm 

Guys,,every time I turn around ,,bam!!!,,,another problem...O.k ....My brake rotors on the front are warped pretty bad....shakes like a mother on the top end when you apply the brakes....So,,,,,I called Aerospace ,,ordered new rotors..90.00 each!!!!for a slab of metal... O:)
..It has the heavy duty kit on the front and rear,,anyway tried to install my rotors tonight,,unbolted the old one from the hub,,,,went to install the new one,,bolts wouldnt thread in...original bolts are 3/8 x24 x1 inch..So it ,,turns out(I believe) they decided to change the thread design(without lettin anyone know,like me!!) to what looks like 3/8 x 24 x 1 inch LEFT HAND THREAD!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!I've been all over town trying ot find this and no one has them..!!!!!!Only thingI can do,Which I'm not sure is safe,,is to bolt up the old rotor to the hub and put it on the cutter...its only .350 to begin with and the left one is warped pretty bad,,didnt do a runout ....but whats your opinion.....I really want to go tomorrow...and its to shaky as is....would you all try and cut them?at least til I get my bolts?

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:27 pm 

nlmsc33 wrote:
hey tray.
what else were you gonna do with the old ones anyway? :-k
they're junk right? =;
cut 'em & see where they end up.

as long as ther're not TOO thin & you don't have to abuse them to stop i wouldn't be too leery of them.
not for 1 weekend anyway.
especially cause the car is more lighterer in de nose now.
i used to cut the rotors(jfz's) on the late models once before i discarded them & never had a problem...mel

Exactly .. I wouldnt hesitate to cut'em and see if they'll work

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Mine does a little shimmy now and again but if I let off the brake and hit'em again it stops?

OH, BTW, I AM RACING TOMORROW, finally! =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:40 pm 

well good luck and have fun ken

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

I'm with mel They are junk now. You did learn to pack your chute.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 pm 

Worst comes to worst disable the fronts and use the rear. that what we did in the old days. brakes weighed too much.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:48 pm 

Well,,I took your advice....started cuttin the rotors this morning,,,but they chattered like crazy,,but are true....guess they'll work....I tried it out back and seemed to stop and no pulsation.Of course they are calling for rain and it already rained this morning and it looks like more comin...dont know....Geez...Oh well,,hate to spend another 70 to 80 dollars in gas only to turn around and drive back home.....AGAIN...Thanks Guys....and good luck Ken.... =; Ahh Good Ol larry Dixon ....showed me how to pack my chute... \:D/ ....Hellava nice guy!....I could always just use the chute.... O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:58 pm 

traysvega wrote:
started cuttin the rotors this morning,,,but they chattered like crazy,,but are true....guess they'll work....I tried it out back and seemed to stop and no pulsation.

at least it sounds like they'll be usable.

When you talked to them did turning them get mentioned at all ?
Were the rotors like this since you've had the car or did it just come up ?

I never knew of anyone running their Brake parts, but know of many running their vacuum pumps and nothing less than great is all I have heard on those.

What track do you normally run at ? they have a website ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:01 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Mine does a little shimmy now and again but if I let off the brake and hit'em again it stops?

Could that be in the alignment, or do you feel it in the peddle also ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:51 pm 

Well the saga continues.....I called aerospace today...and asked what where the bolt sizes to mount the rotors to the hub,,he stated 3/8 x fine thread ,....3/4 long....I tried an old bolt ,,a new bolt,,and tried to thread it in both rotors....turns out,,the threads in both rotors needed to be chased....after that,,,sure enough a standard 3/8 fine pitch bolt threaded right in......now heres the sad part...I asked about a .150 spacer that went behind the rotor hub to prevent the rotor from hitting the caliper mounting plate....which in turn caused the castle nut not to line up with the cotter pin hole once tightened....whoever mounted these ,,fliped the castle nut backwards and left the bearings loose so the cotter pin would fit....Geez....Now the good stuff..the aerospace guy asked if I had the 2 bolt caliper mounting plate..I repied yes...He said "oh boy thats a time bomb waiting to happen"..I said "what"...He stated that they re-designed the hub,,no spacer,,,and added a weld on tab to the spindle for a 3 bolt mounting plate...cause the stock vega spindles where so weak... O:)
I asked what should I do,,he replied,,send 290.00 ,,they'll supply new hubs and bearings,,,and mounting plates with the weld on tabs....O.K....now I spent 178.00 for 2 rotors and then add 290.00....so 468.00 I'll be done......well crap for 550.00 to my door I can buy the WHOLE KIT!..NEW EVERYTHING....thats what I told him ,,he said,,do what you want...I personally think they should supply at no charge updated SAFE parts...... Anyone else agree?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:39 pm 

Can you send the rotors back? I just installed aerospace on the front of my camaro and it was the best fitting stuff I ever had. But I had to chase the threads just like you did.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:05 am 

DCarr wrote:
traysvega wrote:
started cuttin the rotors this morning,,,but they chattered like crazy,,but are true....guess they'll work....I tried it out back and seemed to stop and no pulsation.

at least it sounds like they'll be usable.

When you talked to them did turning them get mentioned at all ?
Were the rotors like this since you've had the car or did it just come up ?

I never knew of anyone running their Brake parts, but know of many running their vacuum pumps and nothing less than great is all I have heard on those.

What track do you normally run at ? they have a website ?

Yes Duane ,I think they'll be o.k for a short while...but aerospace says its a time bomb....weak spindles and 2 bolt mounting plate*(for the caliper),,so I'm gonna send the new ones back and I guess shell out 550.00 instead of 178.00.....Geez.... and also yes,,they were like this when I got it...just figured they would straighten themselves out ....no,,didnt ask aeropace about turning them....I know its a completely diffenent metal comapered to a standard rotor,,I tore up a set of bit ,,turning them... yes all 6 sides... :-& ....anyways ,,I gonna get the new setup and still run the old one til then...Laters everyone.. \:D/

Oh,,,so far I've only run(with this car)EdgeWater sports park once(1/8 mile race) mountain parkway motoplex,claycity once,,and plan on hittin thornhill again this weekend....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:26 pm 

Tray, you may want to use that chute till you get the new brakes, just to take the stress off. The kids in the stands think the chute is neat anyway. We used the chute more on 1/8 mile strips than 1/4. They where the ones with short yucky shut down areas.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:42 pm 

Geez,I think the the guys at the local track would laugh my azz right out of there.... O:) .....I think I'll be o.k til teh new stuff comes in....after all the brakes on there have been on there for 7 years and with a bbc and lenco weighing it down.... =; Laters

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes