Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: re post of mine
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:48 pm 

This is a post of mine. I thought it cleared up some chassis questions in simple terms. Thought I'd share.  

There is a love triangle, or hate in some cases to weight transfer. they are dependent on each other. Center of gravity, ( basically where weight is), Power and Traction. All other things such as springs/shocks, instant centers, slipping clutches or converters, detuning on launch ect are just tools to modify that triangle. They do that by maximizing or giving up performance.

First weight transfer is dependent on forward force at the rear tire contact patch and where the COG is. This can be separated some by forward and rear ward weight,(forward weight needs to be transfered, rear ward weight does not), High and low weight, High weight transfers easy, low does not. All of this weight has a center point the COG. The only way that an instant center has effect on weight transfer is it's ability to gain or dump traction, hit and maintain pressure on contact patch. This ability is aided or not aided by the spring shock part. Billy's anti squat line is written in stone. This is a line that goes from low (contact patch) to high in front wheel area (COG hight). If your IC is above this line you get separation,(rear end rising), Below compression,(rear squatting). Never confuse squatting with weight transfer. It is just dependent on which way the controlling bars want to move in relation ship with the AS line. Rebound shows hit,(downward pressure on contact patch), Compression shows lack of hit, (less pressure). Now you can vary spring/ shock package to modify these some and a longer IC also makes them less abrupt some. Bottom line is as much pressure on contact patch is good for performance until you distort tire or provide more forward force that the center of gravity can handle causing wheel stands or tire shake in some cases. This is where adjustments can give up performance for making it drive. If as much time and energy was used putting the weight in the right spot for a certain power level and traction, as there is to bar settings we would be ahead of the game. The Pro guys learned this way back. You don't see bars and springs on them. It's all weight traction and power. The sliding rule is higher HP and higher Traction likes lower and forward COG and vice versa. Low traction, likes lower HP and higher and farther back COG. The guys with smiles on their faces have got it or lucked into it. The triangle is key, the rest is bells and whistles to make up for short comings. That don't mean they are worthless, it is just look first to where you get the biggest bang for your buck.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes