Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:30 am 

rodrocket wrote:
Hi Sam
does your car hook straight

what is the single wheel like if the car comes out a little sideways

regards
rod

Every time bar one Rod, It gets a bit out of it if I launch at over 4800,

As I understand it the single wheel bars flex a bit and due to this the wheel can incline one way or the other slightly. which give no real rear steer.

My car has a tendacncy to go to the right if anywhere (hard right at hard launch) I just let it run as the front wheels are back on the floor before it gets anywhere near the wall or centre line, I only pull it back enough to keep off either,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Greg,

I measured the bars today and they are 45" from the end of the bottom flat bar to the center of the wheel.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:24 pm 

Is it a ladder bar car or 4 link ???

If it's a ladder bar thats back halfed like Georges then you need spring loaded bars as it will be inconstant with solid bars. My Vega had solid bars on it when I got it and just could not get the short times consistant as if the track cooled of or track condition changed I would most likely have to move the 4 link bars. With the spring loaded bars through some testing I found the perfict spot for the height of the bars and the proper setting for the 4 link. It liked to be up about 8 to 10 inches and I believe it planted the back tire constintaly for what was a short wheelbase car (96 inches).....just my outlook on this,, Good luck \:D/ Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that info Barry. That will save me from screwing around with something that is working great as it is. #-o #-o =;

George

Post subject: Hi
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 am 

Hi all,
While we are on this subject can we also talk about the height u want the front to lift. Is what Georges car is doing bad, i thought getting the wheels up like that was wasting power. Do you just want the front suspension to rise up its travel and then be on the weelie bars.

Also George, that launch is awesome

Trev

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:43 am 

I think georges car is a little to high but my vega was also about the same height. Tried to get it to only be about 6"on launch. On my vega I had to use a 300 pound spring in the front and compress it as try to store engery in the front to allow the front to lift easy. This was a big plus to get my car to leave and cut a light at the same time. After this my short times were always around 1.255 to 1.259 on every run. where as before they varied .01 to .025 not the way to be conistant.. As for height yes your wasting et with the lift but with a stock front end or a short wheelbase thats "old technology" (my vega) you may not have any choice. It's a try it and see if it likes it... Im sure you will get some more info on this. Is your car a 4 link or ladder bar...Bubster is good on the 4 link subject and can explain it... I kind of suck on explaining stuff... =; =; Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:09 am 

I think the height of the " wheelie " needed depends on how much HP the engine makes, the RPM it's made at, and the weight of the vehicle.

Heavy low HP SS cars leave hanging the front wheels 40" up for a reason, same as light high HP P/S cars dont pull them up much over a couple of inches.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Admin

I think it's a little too high as well but it's more consistant there. It runs faster with the front lower but it's not as consistant. With it lower, sometimes it spins the tires and sometimes it doesn't. Might be a tire pressure thing. Still workin on it. =;

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:17 am 

gdmii wrote:
I think it's a little too high as well but it's more consistant there. It runs faster with the front lower but it's not as consistant. With it lower, sometimes it spins the tires and sometimes it doesn't. Might be a tire pressure thing. Still workin on it. =;

George

You said it george as the vega did the same think. just better with it a little higher and more conistant..... \:D/ Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:41 am 

I beleve how you control wheelstands is what makes inconsistancys. First, slower or automatic cars like higher instant centers and stick or big H/P cars like lower. Now saying you can't raise instant center is just not true. If You can change it on a leaf spring pro stock in a motel parking lot you can do it about any where. Remember it's the relationship to the center of gravity hight that counts. If front mounts won't go up bring ride hight up and if they won't go down move ride hight down.. The biggest wheelie you will ever get is the time a plug wire comes off. One of the other good ways to control wheelies is the front springs and shocks. Barry made a good point a heavy spring gives up weight faster than a light one and takes it slower, a lighter spring is oposite. So if you wanted to slow the transfer of weight a lighter spring and a harder setting on shock rebound(extention). Little trick here, since weight transfers to oposite rear side a differene in shock rebound settings on the front can steer weight to the wheel that needs it, and still not effect the stopping of the car. Shhh speed secret lol. Personal preferance the wheelie bars are as a insurance policy to compinsate for difference in traction or down on H/P and should be set slightly higher than normal car transfer. Then if they are spring loaded they hopefully won't jerk a rear tire off the ground and save a decient 60 ft time and keep you going straight.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes