Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:33 pm 

I had to replace my safety shields anyway so I went ahead and bit the bullet and switched to the jw case and bell. Since I have it all apart I am going to put the proper torque convertor in it. It is a 8" continental convertor. Still stalled at 5500 but was not locking up under the new engine and building alot of heat. I would have to shift it about 80-100 ft out and second gear was a little lazy( 4.29 gear and 33 tire). It was never meant for the car anyway, just used it .. because it was sitting there. It looks like work is slowing down by the time I get a new convertor I will be off for the summer.. And my race season finally begin.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:34 pm 

i run a coan w/a stall of 5500. my 60 ft times are usually 1.30-1.31 and i run a 4.33 gear and 33 inch tires also. might be how i have my 4 link though.

everytime i send my convertor in to have it checked the ask me why i sent it in in the first place. never had a bit of trouble and have been running it for a long time.

corey

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:56 pm 

I have run a TCI 8" 5500 off the shelf converter since building the 383. It has worked flawlessly, but I don't ask a lot from it with ~550hp and 2350#.

When I had the higher powered 360ci motor in the Camaro, I ran a Coan 7" 7500. It worked fine too.

Believe it or not I ran a G.E.R. 10" 3500 stall converter years ago and it ran for a long time. Ran in the 9's with it at 3000#. After I sold it it was still running for many years. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

I ran a bolt together 8" built by a local guy that worked great. Nice to be able to open it up and clean/inspect without sending it back. Was going to buy another one but he couldn't build it in time so I had to go with TCI.

If you are building a high rpm Comp Elim type engine buy a Coan or A-1 converter. If you're bracket racing there are a lot of good converters, everybody has their favorite. TCI, Coan, ATI, Hughes.

Rick

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 pm 

I too have had great success with an off the shelf TCI, but recently switched to an ATI and the 60s went from 1.42 to 1.30. Both were 8 inch. I think the ati was better suited to my engine. I,m sure tci can do the same thing. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

I decided to go spragless with a Transmission Specialties Super 8" which is actually a 9". Go figure. Anyway, other than being a little tighter than I would have liked, it's doing fine. They have a 90 day tweak period to adjust stall speed so I will take advantage of that. It stalls at 5500 behind my 496 and I think it needs to be a little closer to 6000. It's replacing an 8" BTE which lost the sprag.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:18 pm 

I like My EDGE Racing Converter..
http://www.racingjunkrides.com/view_ride/904/

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:07 am 
Site Admin

I have two TCI verters. One 5k the other 6k. The 5 k was originally purchased back in 1991 as a N2O verter and ran off and on thru 2004. It is still OK as it was running fine when I stopped using it, I think.

BTE is actually another TCI. Bill Taylor is the owners name and he was the original owner of TCI. When he sold that business he signed a 10 year "No Compete Contract" and when 10 years were up, BTE came alive. Nice guy, taked to him on the phone numerous times as I've put his verters in a couple of other guys cars over the years. Excellent Tech Support at BTE also!

I agree with the others though that ATI, Coan and a couple of others are a good choice.

GER was a nightmare for me! Sorry Rick but I guess you did get the ONLY good one they ever made! I lost two transmissions to that junk! One went out in half a season and the repacement verter lasted 15 miles of street driving in the Studebaker. Oh well!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:40 pm 

I've used several TCl's(off the self) with no problems and all ran great...The vertor I have now is a coan and is working great so far... =;

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 pm 

Ken you probably know this but Bill Taylor was also one of the partners of Coleman Taylor Transmission, based out of Memphis, Tn. Just a little triva for ya. =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes